This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

I remember getting the bus home after my first week at University: I was exhausted, homesick but above all that, I knew I had made the right choice coming here. Although my week had been packed with introductory lectures, and ‘getting to know each other’ sessions – I knew that I was following my passion and that I was going to be very happy here. From the minute I’d sat in my first GCSE media class, I knew that this was the subject for me. Maths and Science were never my strong subjects at school. Sure, I worked hard at them, and came out with decent grades, but I struggled to get my head around the concepts. Whether it’s to do with my personality, or the way my brain works – I find it very hard to be told and just accept that something is the correct answer. My mind works best when I am told to find the answer myself, instead of just having to take someone else’s word for it.

Not that I’m an argumentative person in real life (some people may perhaps disagree), but I excel when I write essays which encourage me to state my own points, ideas and interpretations. The reason why I adore Media to such a level that I have already devoted 5 years to studying it, is because it gave me an outlet to express myself creatively. I am very proud to admit my passion for this subject, yet I feel that there’s a slight misunderstanding to what it actually entails. Many people are under the impression that scholars of Media studies sit and watch films all day, or discuss what happened on last night’s episode of The Only Way is Essex – and whilst I’ll happily chat to anyone about the love story between Gemma Collins and Arg (in my own time!) – that isn’t what I’m paying £9,250 to do.

Media Studies is a subject which encapsulates the entirety of everyday life: things that you don’t even realise you are being influenced by and are subconsciously manipulating your thoughts, opinions and beliefs. Although propaganda is a concept we believe to only have existed in Nazi Germany under Hitler’s rule, it’s nevertheless something which is embedded into the marketing for our favourite brands.

Going back to my bus journey, I found myself sat next to a man who began a conversation with me. Whether it was the confusion splashed across my face, or the fact I was constantly looking out the window to see where I was, it was evident that I am not from Leeds. He asked what I was studying at Uni, and when I uttered ‘Media and Cultural Studies’, I saw his lip curl ever so slightly.

I have always noticed a degree of mockery whenever I tell people that I study a creative subject, instead of a ‘normal’ one. In this lifetime, people think that you have to be studying Maths, Science or – even better – medicine in order to exert a level of intelligence, and be worthy of paying to do a 3-year degree. Something where your graduate job is guaranteed to be related to the field of your study.

“Media?”, this man asked me “What’s the point of that?”, and he then proceeded to tell me about his son, the doctor with his own practice. Whilst there’s not a seed of doubt in my mind that you have to have a certain level of intelligence to get into the medical profession, I also think it’s unfair to associate Media degrees and other creative subjects with people of a lesser intelligence. Some people’s brains are wired more towards subjects which encapsulate logic and an understanding of theories and algorithms, whilst other people excel at creative thinking, producing artwork and writing. Just as I believe it’s wrong to judge someone based on their class, gender or ethnicity, I also believe it’s wrong to make assumptions based on the subject that they study.

On a day-to-day scale, I am inundated with heavy readings from the likes of Freud, Foucault and Sontag which I am expected to understand and apply to contemporary society. These readings are certainly not easy, and are filled with all sorts of jargon which can often be confusing and hard to wrap my head around. The thing I love most about my degree is that it forces me to think beyond what I am taught, and it combines many subject matters such as politics, history, art, psychology – obviously, alongside Media Studies, are all incorporated into my degree and it’s what keeps it so interesting and relevant. Media studies has opened me up to a new way of thinking, and I know that my mind has been broadened because of it – despite the fact I am constantly being wound up about it, my passion and motivation has never been deterred, purely because of the level of enjoyment I gain from studying this subject.

(Photo Credit: @universityofleeds )

My degree changes constantly, and the course is rewritten frequently to encapsulate current affairs. For example, I have modules this year which are to do with the refugee crisis, and Brexit – topics which I believe are important to be educated about in order to move forward as a society. One thing which I believe is lacking in mankind is understanding. We mock and degrade the things we don’t understand, in order to attain power. Perhaps this is why creative subjects are belittled – because people don’t understand what is studied.

Whilst I can’t speak for those who study photography, English, film-making or drama, I can say that the people who attend my lectures and seminars are some of the most articulate, intelligent and eloquent people I have ever come across.

One of the most important things to me is making my family proud. I’m not going to deny that there have been times where I’ve questioned whether they’d be prouder if I was at Oxbridge studying a “traditional” subject. However, I come from an extremely supportive family who constantly tell me they are proud, and that I should always do what makes me happy. It saddens me that other people don’t come from a similar background, and I’ve heard many stories of students who are persuaded into studying a subject they’re not passionate about – all because of their parents’ opinions.

With this in mind, I reached out to a couple of people who I know are studying creative degrees. I asked them to share their experiences and opinions on the stigma surrounding their subject, and here’s what they said:

“People sometimes judge me to not be as intelligent as those who study science and maths related subjects, and it annoys me – just because I don’t want to be a doctor or a mathematician doesn’t mean that I’m less capable.” – Hannah Rose, BA Media and Communications, University of Leeds

Studying a creative degree at University immediately demands extra work, in the amount of defending of your subject you are required to do. From friends and family, to teachers and even strangers, a question all university students face is “So what are you going to do with your degree?” and yet, for anyone studying an arts subject, this is always asked with a hint of mockery. In my opinion, we are second class in the academic world and the expectation of our graduate life often becomes the brunt of a joke. In reality, with the growing media market and traditional jobs being transformed, the future of art students’ careers is vital and I believe having a skill set in something other than a science is not something to be sneered at, but instead should be admired.” – Emily Wilson-Knight, English and Related Literature, University of York

“I study English Literature and Drama at a prestigious University, I did better than most of my peers in my A-Levels, but somehow I feel stupid because I’m doing a creative degree. People don’t appreciate that my degree is really time consuming with the amounts of reading and analysis that I have to do, but all they see is a light time table and assume that means I do nothing. The stigma around creative degrees causes me stress for the future and employment after Uni, but just because I’m doing something which isn’t deemed ‘academic’, doesn’t means that I’m stupid or any less capable than someone doing a BSc. Don’t make me feel guilty for doing something that I love.” Megan Moore, English Literature and Drama, University of Manchester

Even though my family were happy for me doing something they know I enjoy; I could tell that some were still focused on the unlikelihood of me finishing University with a job. I think a lot of people see creative subjects as an ‘easy degree’ to choose or that you ‘don’t work as hard’ as anyone else when if anything it’s harder – not only the work load, but it’s much more mentally straining than perceived. You really can’t force creativeness, but when you’re expected to produce things weekly and daily it can take its toll on you. I genuinely think creative degrees are one of the hardest to embark on.” – Sophie Triner, Fine Art, Nottingham Trent University

“I personally believe that any stigma created against creative degrees is somethings that is institutional due to the government favouring STEM subjects over creatives – and due to schools undervaluing the positive effects of the arts. Unfortunately, the education system is heavily weighted towards people who excel at core subjects and this was shown at my sixth form, especially in the future career talks.” – Molly Cobb, History, University of Sheffield

“Being a drama student, I receive lots of comments about my degree being ‘fake’ or easier than other degrees. Most of the time, it’s easy enough to brush it off and take it at face value, because it’s rare for there to be malicious intent behind it – yet at times when I’m feeling insecure about my prospects or worrying about my future it can cut deep.” – Max Nicholls, Drama, University of Birmingham

Through these interviews, I believe it is evident that there is a definite stigma attached towards those who embark on a creative degree. Perhaps those who study “traditional” or “stem”, and preferred subjects may not even be aware of the judgement and mockery we face on a regular basis. Just like we reinforce ending the stigma towards mental health and other social issues, I believe it is equally as important not to belittle someone for chasing their passions – whatever they may be. If it’s not personally affecting you, or your life, why should you feel the need to comment on it?  

I am 19 years old and studying Media and Cultural Studies at the University of Leeds. I am from Manchester, and my biggest passion is writing. I hope to do a year abroad in Australia, and my ultimate goal in life is to work at the BBC.
Senior Editor for Leeds Her Campus 2018-19