Leeds’ University Union is one of the best Unions in the whole country. Therefore, during your time at the University of Leeds you should make full use of the amazing place. There are hundreds of events that take place over the whole year, but the most important week of the year is this week: Freshers’ Week.
Monday 17th September – School Disco
Get out your old uniform, dress up like a geek and relive those old days! School Disco events are always really fun, with everyone dressed up in fancy dress it’s a great ice breaker to ease you into the week.
Tuesday 18th September – Hypnotising, dancing meets physics and Zane Lowe
– Hypnodog is hypnotist Hugh Lennon with the Amazing Hypnodog who put on a hilarious stage show!
Tickets: £3.50, Doors: 8pm till 11pm, Venue: Riley Smith Hall
– Stage@Leeds presents Break-in’ Point a collaboration between De-Napoli Clarke (RJC Dance) and theoretical physicist Jiannis K. Pachos under the direction of International arts facilitator Carol Marie Webster. So therefore if you like physics and you like dance then this event is for you.
Tickets: £5.50, Doors: 7.15pm till 8.30pm, Venue: Stage One, Stage @ Leeds
– Zane Lowe – Radio One DJ is coming to LUU. So after you’ve been hypnotised by a dog and had your fill of physics/dance head on down to the Union for a brilliant night. As the Union says: “He brings an electrifying presence to any club with his across the board genre defying sets.”
Tickets: £5.50, Doors: 10pm till 3am, Venue: LUU
Wednesday 19th September – hypnotising and silent dancing
– If you miss Hypnodog on the Tuesday then do not despair as he’s back on Wednesday!
See above for details.
– One of the biggest nights at LUU which WILL sellout: Silent Disco. There will be three rooms playing a mix of genres, room 1 and 2 with the headphones playing chart and student anthems plus retro classics. And room 3 playing RnB and dubstep / indie and rock mash-up plus free neon facepaint and glowsticks. It’s one event not to be missed, so get your tickets early. They’re a bargain at under £6!
Tickets: £5.75 (Headphones subject to a small refundable deposit), Doors: 10.30pm till 3am, Venue: LUU
Thursday 20th September – comedy and DJs
– Laugh It Up presents the comedians Tom Deacon, Carl Donnelly and Chris Ramsey plus compere Chris Quaile. It’ll be a fun evening, full of laughs!
Tickets: £5.50, Doors: 7.30pm till 10pm, Venue: Riley Smith Hall
– Metropolis: Jaguar Skills, Shy FX, Mistajam & more. This is one of the more expensive events of the week, but with the huge line-up it’s definitely worth the money. Headlining is the globally recognised Jaguar Skills, who can be found mixing and scratching things up on BBC Radio One and 1xtra every Saturday night. He is joined by Shy FX with Stamina MC, Mistajam, B-Traits, Dismantle, Major Look, North Base and Steppa! What a line-up!
Tickets: £12.25, Doors: 10pm till 4am, Venue: LUU
Friday 21st September – more comedy and the cheesiest, fruitiest party ever!
Laugh It Up is back for another night of comedy on the Friday, this time featuring Gareth Richards and Wit Tank.
Tickets: £6.50, Doors: 7pm till 10pm, Venue: Riley Smith Hall
Ask any second or third year where they go on a Friday night and they will almost certainly reply Fruity. It’s one of the longest running student club nights in Leeds and happens every Friday night at the Union! They often have guests think Made in Chelsea, Only Way Is Essex etc… It’s fun, it’s cheesy and you’ll still be going in your final year.
Tickets: £4.50, Doors: 10.30pm till 3.30am, Venue: LUU
Saturday 22nd September – rave time!
Saturday night is The Leeds University Freshers’ Rave! Featuring Lethal Bizzle, Toddla T + Mc Drs, DJ Target and Drumsound & Bassline Smith. Get on your party shoes and dance till the sun comes up!
Tickets: £11.25, Doors: 10pm till 5am, Venue: LUU
Sunday 23rd September – time to rock out
Two Smoking Barrels with Evil Scarecrow is hosted by Leeds’ Rock Soc and is the alternative fresher’s party. It’s a great end of the week event to go to if you’ve had enough of dance music for a week and just want to have a good mosh and rock out to some classic songs.
Tickets: £6.50, Doors: 7.30pm till 2am, Venue: LUU
All details are from http://www.leedstickets.com/ and were correct as of Monday 17th September at 6pm. Details/prices may change or differ in advance, from the Union or on the doors. Her Campus Leeds cannot guarantee the prices.
Most importantly stay safe, love your time at Leeds and have a brilliant Freshers’ Week!