What you should have worn this Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

So the Christmas songs are being played less, the decorations are going down, and the advent calendars are going in the bin; the festive season is well and truly over. We’ve all got the post-Christmas blues no doubt and so we’re reminiscing over all the Christmas fun, mulled wine and, of course, Christmas parties. Whether it was your work Christmas party, your society’s Christmas party, or a party with your friends or family, we’re sure it was amazing, but we’re also sure you spent many sleepless nights beforehand dwelling on the all important issue of what to wear, and you’ve probably spent many sleepless nights since wondering whether you really made the right outfit choice or not. Here at HC Leeds we’ve tried to cure our post Christmas blues and we’ve compiled a guide to what we think you should have worn to that crucial Christmas party. Read on and see if you got it right this Christmas…

A Sequin Dress

Christmas is the one time of year when no amount of glitter and sequins can be considered too much, so a Christmas party was the perfect excuse to glam up. A sequin dress was sure to make you stand out and they were available EVERYWHERE, boohoo.com particularly had a great range of affordable sequin dresses in every style. Bodycon, skater, maxi, swing: there was something for everyone. Here were some of our favourites:

A Christmas party is the one event where it’s acceptable to accessorise sparkles with sparkles so always remember to go all out at that time of year, with glittery shoes, glittery make up and even body glitter; make the most of the sparkle season!

Price (in order): £30, £30, £35, £30

Jeans With Glittery Shoes

If you’re more of a jeans kind of girl, dressing up your favourite pair of skinny jeans with a pair of glittery shoes and some statement jewellery worked brilliantly this Christmas. 

New Look had a great range of affordable glittery shoes including flats and heels, and New Look even has student discount all year round!

Price (in order): £30, £12.99

A statement necklace was a great way to jazz up the outfit, adding glam and individuality. They can be found in pretty much any high street shop, but here are a few of my favourites from Miss Selfridge’s large and varied range.

Price (in order): £11.20, £6.80, £6.00, £11.20

Finishing off the outfit with a faux fur coat was also a great way to keep away those winter chills!

An LRD

This December, it was time to replace the classic LBD with the more festive (and just as fabulous!) LRD (Little Red Dress). With all sorts of styles and shades of red available there was an LRD for everyone. 

Price: £22 (Asos.com)

These are just a couple of examples; but the red dresses were everywhere and the perfect one for you is definitely out there somewhere; this will always be a Christmas classic so it’s never too early to start searching for next year’s LRD if you didn’t manage it this year! Teaming this look with tights and a blazer helped to keep you warm and accessorising with some festive jewellery always works well.

Price: £38 (topshop.com)

Christmas Jumper!

If your Christmas party was more of a casual affair you could have always opted for a good old Christmas jumper! After all, it’s the only time of year when it’s acceptable to wear them (in public anyway!). Primark had some brilliant budget jumpers, some for just £12, including the two shown below.

Alternatively, New Look also had a variety of cute Christmas jumpers for between £15-£30, including these two that even light up! (Both £29.99).

Or you might have even splashed out on one of these gorgeous jumpers from Topshop, we don’t blame you, we couldn’t resist either!

Whatever you chose to wear for your Christmas party, we’re sure you really looked great and hopefully had too much of a great time to worry too much about what you were wearing anyway! But if you really struggled, remember these ideas for next Christmas!

Kerry Williams

Image Sources

www.boohoo.com

www.newlook.com

www.asos.com

www.topshop.com

www.missselfridge.com