This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Currently, in the United States of America, a nationwide debate has been sparked concerning abortion laws. Despite there always being contention, it is hard to ignore that many states are taking steps backwards, restricting the autonomy of women and inhibiting their right to choose.

Most recently, Texas has been the subject of continual controversy regarding its new ‘Heartbeat act’; a proposal that would prevent women from opting for an abortion after six weeks of pregnancy. This, as we’re sure countless readers would agree, is absolutely no time at all. Whilst many people might be able to tell that they are pregnant from this early stage, it is not always obvious… the majority of women may not actually realise until it is too late!

There is so much to consider when it comes to raising a child; it is not a decision that prospective parents would ever want to take lightly or without significant planning. With this in mind, it isn’t hard to understand that forcing an unwanted pregnancy would be extremely distressing for both mother and baby.

Not only would these laws be uncommonly dangerous, particularly if the mother were to take matters into her own hands, but there is also the potential that they will only end up negatively impacting the ‘unwanted’ children. There is a higher possibility for neglect and abuse, as well as the risk that the foster-care systems will be over-run and stretched to a breaking point. Surely the prospect of such a poor quality of life is not at all fair or just, and would in fact be a cruel solution to this so-called ‘pro-life’ problem.

Whilst adoption is an option for these children, many women may actually struggle with the pregnancy experience itself. This could be for multitudes of reasons; for example, for those who have experienced sexual assault, the pregnancy could in fact serve as a reminder of their trauma. To turn a victim away like this is not only cruel and inhumane, but is an infringement of basic human rights.

Similarly, if an individual is in no fit state, be it mentally or financially, giving them no option but to continue with their pregnancy puts them in a situation that would undoubtedly hinder their mental health further – perhaps even to dangerous degrees. How can the Supreme Court really allow a law such as this to be passed? As young women, we find it incredibly hard to understand how these recommended restrictions became anything more than that.

When taking into account the many beneficial reasons for abortion, it becomes almost incomprehensible that States are moving away from the ability to choose, and instead are restricting the feminine ability to control their own lives and bodies. These are antiquated constructs that have been debated for years. We have moved so far forward, why is it that, once again, men are being given the right to dictate what we do or do not elect to do with our bodies?

Following on from the discussion of finance, it is imperative to consider the marginalised individuals that would be particularly affected by the introduction of these abortion laws. For example, those living in poverty or economic difficulty would be less likely to afford pregnancy tests, and so therefore would be less likely to discover a pregnancy within the correct time frame.

Additionally, they may need to allow for more time in order to save the right amount of money for the abortion itself, which is especially unlikely in a six-week period. We also discovered an article that discusses the struggles of seeking an abortion as undocumented citizen. The idea that women may be forced to get an abortion abroad is shocking enough, let alone the idea that it would risk deportation and not being able to get home safely afterwards.

The idea that we are still being deprived of our ability to choose in 2021 is simply ridiculous and quite frankly, terrifying! At this point, the abortion ‘issue’ goes far beyond the futility of any personal opinions. It is a hindrance on female autonomy and human rights. By agreeing with these new and proposed US laws, you could ultimately be complicit with the prevention of gender equality.

Words by: Ella Dayer and Ellen Churchyard

Edited by: Cloe Heaton

Hi! I'm Ellen, a second year English Literature student aspiring to write fun and informative articles :)
Ella Dayer

Leeds '23

Hi, I'm Ella and I'm a second-year English Literature student.