Travel Blog – From Istanbul, With Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

If you’ve sat at the edge of your seat during James Bond’s cat-and-mouse chase at the beginning of Skyfall, then you must also be aware of how majestic Istanbul is. From the colorful mosques, to the authentic Turkish alleyways and bustling bazaars, it’s a city that will make you feel like you’ve plunged into the pages of an Aladdin story.

Istanbul is a marvelous mixture of artsy cafes, subterranean cisterns, historic fortresses, treasure- laden museums, and tempting shisha hotspots. Traces of the Ottoman empire’s golden age are  found everywhere in the city. An excellent place to start exploring is the Topkapi palace. Known as  the historic heart of Istanbul, the palace was the seat of Ottoman power for over three centuries. The harem and imperial treasury are must-see features, along with ancient objects that are said to have belonged to both the Prophet Muhammed and Moses. Just make sure you wear comfy shoes as at least half a day is needed to explore this gigantic palace!

Entrance to the Topkapi Palace

http://bedirtour.com.tr/wp/ind…

Another popular spot in Istanbul is the Hagia Sophia. First an Orthodox Byzantium church, then an Ottoman mosque and now a Turkish museum, it’s a truly breathtaking piece of architecture. Whilst inside the complex, the mosaic walls and vaulted chambers are in need of a repair, it is stunning to witness how the internal decorations bear both traces of the Byzantium empire and the Ottoman empire.

Inside the Hagia Sophia

If you’re paying dear Istanbul a visit during warm season, then soak up some sun on a ferry boat ride along the Bosphorus strait. What appears to look like a lake, but in fact serves as a medium between Eastern Europe and Central Asia, its a perfect opportunity to take a step back and view the majestic city from a distance (and in case you were wondering, yes you can still hear the Muezzin prayer on water). Make sure you pop across the strait and have lunch at the Asian part of Turkey. And for an extra treat, on your way back, you might be lucky enough to spot a few dolphins in the sea!

A view along the Bosphorus strait

As in every great city, there are a couple of factors to be aware of when visiting Istanbul. Whilst prices are low, it is easy to get ripped off whilst shopping. Word of advice: in bazaars, plunge into the world of haggling. The salesman wants to sell his product just as keenly as you crave a certain item. Bargain fiercely and the price of a 100 lira scarf could triumphantly turn into 25 lira. Also be aware of pickpockets at bazaars. They are a bunch of predators so stir them away by glueing yourself to your bag at all times. Another factor: traffic is atrocious. A cab ride can make your hairs stand on end, and don’t attempt to wear a seatbelt – the buckles are purposefully detached from the cab. A final spooky factor for single female travelers: it can be quite dangerous to walk alone at night. So make sure you take a companion with you or grab a cab to that Turkish restaurant you were dying to try out.

Old Book Bazaar

Whatever it is you end up doing, leave Istanbul certain that you’ve done these five things:

–  Eaten a kebab whilst fending off pigeons

– Quarreled over a carpet with a Turkish salesman at a bazaar

– Smothered your face in a box full of Turkish delight

– Smoked a Blue Mist shisha at a dodgy meat joint

– Suppressed the giggles whilst inside a Mosque at prayer time