This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

This next trip takes me back to a pure, tropical paradise. The most amazing experience of white beaches, clear skies, crystal waters and diverse unwater inhabitants. I am of course talking about the Great Barrier Reef in Cairns, Australia! North Queensland, where Cairns is situated, brings beauty, experience and some pretty extreme heat! 

Having always wanted a trip under the sea (but never really expecting it to ever happen!) moving to Sydney, Australia with my family provided the perfected opportunity to get up close and personal with some of the world’s greatest wonders.

Visiting Cairns in the Australian summer month of December: the sun was scolding with a near 40 degree heat, and so it meant a lot of sun cream, and a fair bit of complaining! But of course the complaining was all to stop as soon as we ventured into the sea.

Up bright and early on our second day, we changed into our bikinis and sat on a boat headed out across the turquoise waters to a shallow area of water over the coral reef where we could have a close encounter with all the tropical inhabitants.

After squeezing into the world’s smallest wet suit and looking like a sad excuse for a very unattractive seal, we put on our snorkels and were ready to go! I should also say that we were forced to wear life jackets by my over-paranoid mother whose fear of water was projected onto us, making this ‘sad seal-look’ appear even more tragic, but that’s just by the way. Hopping off the boat into the warm, clear water, we fell into the magical world under the sea and began an exploration that was out of this world!

Stunning, unique, vibrant – this tropical paradise blew my mind with variations of colour and shapes. Pinks, oranges, blues and purples formed the base of this magical world, whilst tropical fish moved in and out of the coral with the waters soft current. We’re talking all your ‘Nemo’ characters, and more! If you were lucky enough, a sting ray would float by with the gentle waves, maybe over your head whilst you went deeper into this mysterious place. It was a strange feeling watching over something so fantastic, for a moment I felt solely a part of this magical world, never wanting to leave this almost ultra-reality. 

I think I could honestly swim in that water all day every day for the rest of time, but unfortunately, after having some pretty decent time down there, it was time to come back to my place in the ‘real’ world. I hope my pictures will give you some insight into this spectacular experience and push you to visit one day, because I am itching to get back and do it all again – just be careful of the blue bottle jellyfish – they sting! 

Another must do in Cairns is Tropical Rainforest. We’ve all seen ‘I’m a Celeb’ but actually seeing it yourself is another story. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to actually walk through it, but instead we did a sky lift over the evergreen canopies, and were able to get some perception of its extensive range. This is definitely something that I will be revisiting and walking through!

Also, while you’re there, don’t leave without getting your hands on the cuddly Kolas, they’re cute and friendly, and here you can actually hold them!

Finally, while you’re in Cairns, take a trip to Port Douglas, it definitely won’t disappoint! Palm trees line the beachy roads, and frame the white beach that extends up the coast. You’ll experience beauty, and very fine dining! Get a drink and a bite to eat, preferably seafood if you’re into it, (I mean it is going to be world class after all!) and watch the sunset whilst thinking to yourself that this truly is paradise. 

All images are my own.