Travel Blog: Budapest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Think Prague mixed with Berlin, (and then throw a bit of New York City in there with the road crossings and sidewalks) and there you have Budapest! If you’re like myself and love to dabble in a bit of culture, then put Budapest on your ‘must-go to’ list!

The most beautiful building I came across on my travels was Parliament of Budapest. Extending over the banks of the Danube River, this Gothic multi-façade white and terracotta building is breathtaking. At night, the building is swept with an array of golden lights as you sail on a dinner-cruise in the evening. Quite spectacular!

Whilst you’re on this side of the river (that being the ‘Pest’ side), take a walk along the promenade to visit the peaceful memorial, where dozens of shoes rest to honour the Jews that were killed in the Arrow Cross in World War II.

After some quiet reflections, continue on this walk and behold the incredible Chain Bridge that links the Pest with the Buda side of the city. Across the water, pretty churches and colourful buildings dot the hills, a place you’ll have to investigate by strolling over the bridge which sits in parallel to the rest of the bridges that line the Danube. One particular building that will catch your eye on your journey is the turquoise dome of the Buda Castle!

Once you’ve crossed the bridge, head up through the narrow, uneven streets to the Fisherman’s Bastion where you can overlook the beautiful Pest side, and spot Parliament in all of its glory across the river! Here, you can enjoy a glass of wine – or an ice cream if it’s a hot day – and sit back, relax and enjoy the view!

Just across from the Bastion is the beautifully decorated Matthias Church. Unfortunately, I didn’t actually get to go inside, however, if the multi-coloured mosaics that decorate a part of the outside of the building is anything to go by, I imagine inside would be just as pretty.

Finally on the Buda side, head up Gellert Hill where you’ll come across the Liberty Statue which commemorates those who sacrificed themselves for independence in Hungary. While you’re up there, you’ll get the most spectacular view of the whole city. The colourful buildings and pretty bridges that link the two sides of the City will leave you in a moment of contemplation of just how amazing this place really is.

Whilst you’re there you do of course have to venture to the Széchenyi Thermal Bath, which contains both outdoor and indoor pools of naturally heated water which holds minerals, proven to be beneficial to the skin! This place is notoriously known for its wild parties, but you can just go there to chill and enjoy a hot, relaxing bath if that’s more your thing. Close by to this particular Bath, is Hero Square, where Hungarian soldiers are remembered – very beautiful and definitely worth a look!

One thing I always try and do when I visit a new place is to try the local cuisine, so think pork, venison, trout – all very tasty dishes! The best way to find the most authentic restaurants is to do a bit of exploring, walk the streets and check the menu out! Or ask people – our hotel recommended some amazing places! There’s a warm, friendly buzz in the air in the evening where you can have a drink and taste a bit of Hungary!