This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.
  1. Witch, Please- Hosted by Marcelle Kosman and Hannah McGregor For all of my fellow Harry Potter lovers out there, this is the podcast for you! Marcelle and Hannah read the books/watch the films and review them from a feminist literary perspective. The podcast is incredibly interesting, making you look at the book series we’ve all read from a whole new perspective, and Marcelle and Hannah are also extremely funny and touch on many important topics. My personal favourite category of theirs is “Granger Danger” (insert explosions sound effect here), where they talk about all the awesome women in the Harry Potter series.
  2. Gals on the GoHosted by Danielle Carolan and Brooke Miccio If you’re looking for a fun podcast hosted by two girls who sound like they’re your best friends and you’re just sitting down for a chat, I would recommend this podcast! Danielle and Brooke are two college girls who talk about their life, managing you’re life, relationships, and so much more. I love listening to them while I’m walking to uni, since it definitely feels like you’re walking there with your friends.
  3. SerialHosted by Sarah Koenig This podcast was the first one I ever really got into, and is, in general, a classic in the podcasting world. However, for those of you who have never heard of it, Serial is a hosted by journalist Sarah Koenig, who investigates the 1999 murder of 18-year-old Hae Min Lee. Her boyfriend was imprisoned for the crime, and the big question of this podcast is whether there was enough evidence to actually do so. My favourite part about this is how incredibly nuanced the story is, and the fact that it’s not about whether he committed the murder or not, it’s more an investigation of the biased justice system in the US. Definitely an interesting one!
  4. The Black TapesHosted by Alex Reagan If you’re looking for a fictional podcast and enjoy a dark story or two, The Black Tapes is one of my all-time faves! It follows the story of Alex Reagan, who starts the podcast as a spin-off of the (fictional) radio show Pacific Northwest Stories, to examine people with interesting jobs. However, it quickly turns into an investigation of Dr Richard Strand, a paranormal investigator who states that the supernatural does not exist, and his black tapes, or unsolved cases of paranormal appearances. This is a story that kept me on the edge of my seat for days (I finished all of the 30 episodes in under a week), and it almost feels like an audio book, since the story is so engrossing. Would recommend!
  5. My Favorite MurderHosted by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark If you’re a true crime-fanatic and love Buzzfeed Unsolved but wish it was hosted by women, then this podcast is straight up your alley. Karen and Georgia sit together in Georgia’s living room and just chat for an hour. They both pick a favourite murder to talk about every episode but have a tendency to go wildly off-topic and rant about something completely different (but usually true crime-related) for half an hour. If you don’t like chatty podcasts you might want to avoid this one, but if, like me, you love just listening to people’s conversations, I would recommend you give it a go.
Judith was born and raised in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, but has been dwelling in the UK for the past three years. She's currently working towards her Masters degree in history, but when she's not in the library reading/crying, she enjoys writing dark fairy tales, watching Gilmore Girls, and belting out ABBA songs.
Senior Editor for Leeds Her Campus 2018-19