Tis the Season to be Jolly!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

It’s that time of the year again when we all eat little chocolates for our breakfast and pull out the collapsing box of tacky decorations we’ve had since first year. Yes boys and girls, December is here! I personally get really excited around this time not only because Christmas is just around the corner, but also because it means I can go home for longer than a weekend and enjoy the comforts of a heated house and not have to cook every night for myself.

Despite my own excitement I have noticed some Scrooges walking around campus, so I have made it my mission to spread Christmas cheer through this article and share with you some ideas to get you all in the Christmas mood! After all, it is the season to be jolly!

Decorate your uni house

Making paper snowflakes is really easy. All you need is a pair of scissors and some spare white paper. You can even add some glitter on them if you’re feeling adventurous! They look really festive stuck up on the windows with some Blu-tack and add to the Christmas mood in your house. Maybe see who can make the most intricate snowflake, as you end up with a different pattern each time you make one.

Look on Freecycle

One of my housemates managed to get us a huge box of Christmas decorations and a medium sized fibre optic tree absolutely free from a woman who was getting rid of them on Freecycle. We had loads of red and gold tinsel, tree decorations, and even some Santa hats and reindeer antlers! Our lounge currently looks like Santa’s Grotto and it’s really lovely to come home to after walking back from uni when it’s dark and cold.

Get yourselves down to the German Christmas Market!

Located in Millennium Square, the German Christmas Market is definitely not to be missed out on! It has over forty stalls selling everything from traditional German foods such as Bratwurst sausages to hand-crafted Christmas decorations. You can buy yourself some mulled wine or hot chocolate and enjoy the social atmosphere. There is also the Frankfurter Scheune which is a huge indoor beer tent with bars to buy drinks from. The atmosphere is always great inside with a live band providing music and entertainment; by the end of the evening you’ll be feeling very merry indeed.

Dig out the Christmas Albums

To guarantee to get you into the Christmas spirit; dust off those Michael Bublé albums (I know you have them!) and play them on full blast. It is definitely recommended to put them on whilst making gingerbread men or mince pies for extra Christmassy feelings. Even better, get the housemate who’s on Spotify to make a Christmas playlist including all the favourites: Last Christmas, All I Want for Christmas is You, Fairytale of New York; the list is endless really so you have no excuse!

Put on a Christmas film

Just like the influx of Christmas albums by artists who try and have one last attempt at achieving another number one album, the Christmas films come out in full force around this time of year. Particularly over the weekends in the afternoon, films are guaranteed to be on so take a break in between essay-writing and treat yourself. The Harry Potter films are all being shown on ITV in order every Saturday afternoon from now until Christmas so if that’s not tempting you I don’t know what will! If anyone wants me on Saturday I’ll be on the sofa between 3pm and 6pm precisely watching HP.

If any of these suggestions don’t take your fancy then I suggest you just put on a Santa hat to hide your scowl, heat up a glass or three of mulled wine and eat lots of mince pies until the festive season is over.

For all of you who, like me, love this time of year: ignore the Scrooges, put up the decorations, play your Michael Bublé loud and proud and bake some gingerbread men!

Merry Christmas!

Image Sources:

www.instructables.com

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-6-Pointed-Paper-Snowflakes/

By Imogen Hill

I am a final year student at The University of Leeds studying Broadcast Journalism. I have been writing for Her Campus Leeds for nearly two years and I really enjoy it.I am obsessed with One Direction and Barack Obama and I make a great Ginger Spice!