There Are No Rules in Bali Baby!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

So Christmas has been and gone in a heartbeat, and all you’ve got to look forward to are the January exams. Luckily for us students, January also means student loan! KERCHING! And with only a few months until summer, what better time to start saving for the holiday of a lifetime! (And when I say holiday of a lifetime I don’t mean Magaluf or Zante.) I suggest somewhere a little more exotic, where you can enjoy hidden beaches on secluded islands, lap it up in 5 star hotels and still enjoy a dash of nightlife! (Yes all on a student loan!) Welcome to Indonesia…

1)     Getting there

The most expensive part of any holiday is getting there; however luckily for us, Emirates offers a return flight from Manchester to Jakarta for only £611 and once you’re in Indonesia the price of travel is peanuts! Taxis are cheaper than a bus fare in the UK (yes, really – I couldn’t believe it either!), bicycle hire is cheap and a great way to get lost and discover new places! You can also hire mopeds from almost anywhere and prices start from approximately £5 depending on where you are, and that includes a full tank of petrol! However if you are planning to travel across Indonesia I would suggest booking a mini package deal or coach which will take you from Java to Bali with plenty of sightseeing in between! 

2)     Where to go…

With more than 17,000 islands to choose from you could easily spend a life time deciding where to go! However, here are a few of my favourites…

Java
is perfect if you’re looking for a mixture of fun and culture. For most tourists, Java is the heart and soul of Indonesia, the hub and adventure of a busy island, yet its ancient monuments and authentic characteristics still take centre stage. For those who like culture, Java’s Borobudur is a must! Hidden amongst green forests, the Buddhist relic is home to more than 500 Buddha statues, is more than 1200 years old and only recently discovered. The walk to the top is exhausting but the view from above it is breathtaking!

Mount Bromo is situated in East Java and a day away from Borobudur. Tourists tend to flock to Mount Bromo at either sunset or sunrise to catch a glimpse of this heavenly volcano at its best! I went at sunrise which meant getting up at 4am, which doesn’t usually register on my watch, although it was definitely worth it! After sunrise, tourists are whisked off to the ‘basin’ of the volcano, which is equally as stunning. You can also hire horses from locals and ride to the basin, which is great fun – especially if you’re looking for an ‘Indiana Jones’ experience. Not many people can say they climbed a volcano and went horse riding all before breakfast!

Indonesia doesn’t have motorways or well networked rail services so the best way to get to Mount Bromo is to get a ‘package deal.’ My deal cost around £40 and included travel from Borobudur to Mount Bromo, entrance fee to the volcano, a stay in a hotel near the volcano and a coach and ferry to Bali the next day. Most agencies are flexible with prices, so start touting and get haggling!

Bali – Ubud

Amazing is the word which springs to mind when I remember Ubud! This beautiful region is popular with tourists for all the right reasons! Usually when people say tourist hotspot I run the other way, but when it comes to Ubud I’m really glad I didn’t! Balinese culture and art is at its best in Ubud. It’s normal to see locals performing rituals and scattering flowers to the gods before the working day starts and waking up in your own ‘pagado palace’ is the norm! What I loved most about Ubud is the tranquillity and restfulness, which is perfect if you just want to relax! The rice fields and colourful sceneries are the perfect setting to treat yourself to a post exam Balinese massage, the food is to die for and a pleasant afternoon can be spent wandering the local shops, which mainly sell local artwork and crafts. If you want to be a Balinese princess for a few days you can rent your own traditional ‘pagoda’ (which is more like a palace, complete with a shrine and beautiful surroundings – seriously it would be rude not to!) One place definitely not to be missed in Ubud is ‘Monkey Forest.’ Monkey Forest is home to numerous Buddhist temples, built deep in the heart of the forest which has been completely taken over by monkeys, who now live like kings in these exquisite dwellings! Just think King Louis from the Jungle book – the real version!

Bali – Nusa Lembongan Island

Nusa Lembongan Island is Bali’s best kept secret! If there is heaven on earth Nusa Lembongan must be Eden! With only one boat a day to this tiny island, visitors are few and far between which is perfect if you want to escape from the stress and noise that is everyday life – you will never hear a car horn here because there aren’t any cars, which suited me fine! There is definitely a slower pace of life here – but believe me that isn’t to say it’s boring. There are endless things to do on this island from diving, snorkelling, paragliding or simply going out on a boat! I spent a whole afternoon snorkelling with friends in one of the island’s secluded lagoons for less than £15, which included a local guide and a private speed boat which took us there! The water is crystal clear and the sea life amazing, it would be a sin not to go! If you love the sea then you will love dream beach – the name says it all! The beach is hidden on the other side of the island (so it is best to ask a local to take you), the light blue sea is all you can see for miles and the silence, just like the sand, is golden.

Bali – Kuta

Kuta is situated on the main island of Bali and is Indonesia’s answer to Magaluf (just expect to see lots of Australians rather than Brits)! If nightlife is more what you’re looking for then you’ll find it here. During the day the beaches are packed out with sunbathers but night time is when the district really comes alive and when clubbers flock to the countless nightclubs!

3)     5 things to do before you leave Indonesia…..

1. Have a Balinese massage….seriously it is £5 for an hour….there really is no excuse not to!
  2. Try chicken Satay, a famous Indonesian dish and the fresh seafood dishes – nobody makes it like the Indonesians!
  3. Try and get a peek at the traditional ceremonies that take place in the villages, everyone wears traditional dress, the music is loud and the atmosphere is buzzing!
  4. Venture off the beaten track – the best touristic jewels are found in the most unusual places.
  5. Stay in your own Indonesian pagoda – waking up to the smell of incense, your ‘garden’ view is the rainforest and the fresh fruit picked that morning has a taste that Morrison’s cannot compete with!

3 weeks in Indonesia on a shoe string………….what are you waiting for?

Hannah first joined Her Campus as part of the Illinois branch as a writer during her study abroad year at UofI. While in the US, Hannah joined Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and subsequently began to write a weekly column for the Greek newspaper, The Odyssey. Now back home in the UK, Hannah has founded the first ever UK HC branch for her own university, The University of Leeds. She is in her final year of a Politics degree and is excited for the year ahead and what great things Her Campus Leeds will achieve. Outside of her studies, Hannah enjoys travel, fashion and being an alumni of The University of Leeds Celtics Cheerleading squad where she ran as PR Secretary for the committee during her 2nd year.