This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

On 1 November this year, the hit US rapper – Takeoff – was shot dead at 28 years old. 

Takeoff was a member of the American group, Migos, who split earlier this year. Migos have released many successful albums and tracks including their Culture trilogy albums, featuring the songs ‘Bad and Boujee’, ‘Stir Fry’ and ‘Walk It Talk It’. The group have been nominated for various awards, collaborated with a variety of mainstream artists, and have performed around the world. 

Kirshnik Khari Ball, a.k.a. Takeoff, began rapping from a young age with his uncle and cousin, now known worldwide as Quavo and Offset. Growing up in an area that lacked security and safety, these issues were predominant in their music. In an interview with VladTV, aged 19, Takeoff discussed his music with Quavo and how in “ninth grade [they] really got serious about it”. From here, their first mixtape ‘Juug Season’ was released in 2011, followed by their mixtape ‘Y.R.N’ and their commercial debut single ‘Versace’ in 2013. Several more successful albums were released, debuting atop the US Billboard 200 chart and in Billboard Hot 100’s top ten entries. 

Their formation, early releases and ultimate breakthrough proved a success. However, the group had a history of involvement in an assortment of legal issues. In 2015, the rap trio were arrested for possession of marijuana and another Class 2 controlled substance, as well as possession of firearms within a school safety zone, resulting in the postponement of their tour. In 2018, Migos were sued for “allegedly inciting a riot at the venue”, the Washington Avenue Armoury, where six individuals were stabbed. 
Subsequent to these legal problems, Takeoff was killed outside a bowling alley in Houston, with officers stating they discovered: “a large crowd and a man with a gunshot wound to the head or neck”. The Houston police chief made an announcement stating: “sometimes hip hop gets a bad name” and that investigations surrounding Takeoff’s murder are continuing to be carried out.

Written by: Eloise Barnes

Edited by: Joanne Spence-Thomas

Senior Editor of Her Campus Leeds with a passion for writing and editing.