flowers for memorial left outside Belfairs methodist church
Original photo by Eloise Barnes
Culture > News

The Heart-Breaking Murder of Sir David Amess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

On Friday the 15th of October 2021, the MP for Southend West, Sir David Amess, was stabbed twelve times and as a result, tragically passed away.

Sir David Amess was holding a surgery in Belfairs Methodist Church, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex when the incident took place. Through an Essex Police press release, the individual arrested for the murder was a 25-year-old male of Somalian heritage. Sources told The Guardian that he had matching details with someone who has been previously referred to the Prevent scheme, which is the official programme for those thought at risk for threatening radicalisation.

This horrendous event has created a realisation over the vulnerability that MP’s truly face and how necessary security is at constituency meetings. Individuals are questioning whether surgeries should be scrapped completely following the shooting of Jo Cox, the stabbing of Stephen Timms and now the murder of David Amess; all taking place at surgeries.

Through talking to citizens of Southend-on-Sea, one constituent stated how “one of the most heart-breaking elements of this murder is how Sir David Amess was a noteworthy advocate of asylum-seeking and giving opportunities to those of different cultures and therefore for an individual of Somalian heritage to have been plotting this attack and actually carrying it out, is shocking and utterly heart-breaking.”

Another constituent explained how evident this murder was as an act of terrorism as “a senseless indiscriminate multiple stabbing, in a church, of a public figure, in broad daylight indicates all the hallmarks for a terrorist attack.”

On a national level, it has always been known how persistent Sir David Amess’ wishes were to make his much-adored constituency a city. Local residents are hoping this will be executed in honour of Sir David Amess. However, it is clearly illustrated that this murder has not only been impactful on a local scale but as headlines of this devastation have reached news broadcasts around the globe, including CNN and Fox News, this simply elucidates how drastic, distressing and important this situation is.

Whether this attack was personal, defending a religious agenda or politically motivated with the attacker disillusioned by the government, the death of Sir David Amess, the heavily respected MP, patriot and man of peace, has impacted and affected his constituents through his strong constituency connection. As an individual who was raised in Southend-on-Sea, I am aware of how this tragedy has genuinely affected our community that Sir David Amess was heavily the core of.

Words by: Eloise Barnes

Edited by: Annabel Cohen

Senior Editor of Her Campus Leeds with a passion for writing and editing.