Life > Experiences

The Date Night Diaries – Episode 7: Daytime Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Tonight, the Date Night Diaries presents a date for the daytime. Fléur is a small restaurant hidden inside The Light in Leeds City Centre and is perfect for a morning brunch date. Hanging from the ceiling are hundreds of colourful, metal butterflies fluttering above you as you sit in pink booths and blue leather seats. Flowers grow from the walls as light shines in from the large windows of the conservatory at the end of the restaurant. Fléur serves the aesthetics for a relaxing, romantic floral date.  

I highly recommend brunch here, which is served from 11am until 4pm from Tuesday to Sunday. It includes eggs in every form, salmon, chicken, and a full English. The pink tea is especially aesthetic, matching the watercolour pink and blue patterned walls. The restaurant also offers bottomless brunch, however, compared to others I have seen I would not rate it as highly. For nearly £38 you can have bottomless Prosecco, beer, and cocktails, however the choice of food is only five dishes. Personally, I would recommend going for a regular brunch, with so many different options of tasty, excellent quality food to enlighten your senses for your first meal of the morning at affordable prices. At Fléur, not a plate goes unfinished. 

Afterwards, I would suggest a short walk to Leeds Arts Gallery, which is free to enter and explore. I went with my boyfriend, who is not a lover of art compared to me – who is. Regardless however, we enjoyed wandering around the different rooms, picking our favourite paintings, and posing with the sculptures. We even found a room upstairs which was more hands-on, where you could have a go at drawing. We drew a portrait of each other – where I soon learnt that there is nothing more offensive than your non-artist boyfriend trying to draw you. The gallery also holds ‘Meet & Make’ sessions a few times a month, where you can have a go at creating your own art, inspired by the exhibitions and displays currently in the art gallery. My parents had a go at this when they visited Leeds and I made sure I found their art up on the wall when I visited the gallery myself.  

Overall, this date is inexpensive, aesthetically pleasing, and creative. Even for those who are not art lovers, there is no set pace or rules when you wander around an art gallery. Take your time or walk through, sit, and admire or just pick your favourite. Make your experience what you want it to be and with your partner it will never be boring.

Written by: Madeleine Brooks

Edited by: Madeleine Rousell

Need date night inspo? I give you the Date Night Diaries, where I rate different locations for student dates in Leeds.