Culture > News

The BRIT Awards: The Axing of Male and Female Artist Categories

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

In the run-up to the 2022 BRIT Awards, it has been declared that the male and female artist categories will be dropped ahead of next year’s event.

The BRIT Awards has run annually since 1982, featuring some of the most notable music industry professionals from its origination, including Adele, Michael Jackson and Madonna.

Various male and female artists have been rewarded with the ‘British Female Solo Artist’ award and the ‘British Male Solo Artist’ award. Most recently in 2021, Dua Lipa won the ‘British Female Solo Artist’, and J Hus won the ‘British Male Solo Artist’.

The announcement of the removal of male and female award categories was made on the 22nd of November 2021 through the official BRIT Awards Twitter account, stating the event is attempting to start “celebrating artists solely for their music” to increase the inclusivity of the show.

This will provide the opportunity for fans to vote for genre awards instead including: Alternative and Rock acts, Pop and R&B acts, Hip Hop, Grime and Rap acts as well as Dance acts.

Other changes were also declared regarding the future of the BRIT Awards on their official website under the leadership of their new Chair, Polydor Co-President Tom March, through the celebration of a ‘Producer of the Year’ award and a ‘Songwriter of the Year’ award.

The BRIT Awards will be held on the 8th of February 2022 with an increased element of inclusivity within it.

Words by: Eloise Barnes

Edited by: Michele Ngue-Awane

Senior Editor of Her Campus Leeds with a passion for writing and editing.