This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

2021 is ending and there is nothing better than reflecting on the whirlwind of a year it has been. It may not have been the most action-packed year for everyone, but our pop culture never fails to give us something to talk about. So, take a seat and grab some popcorn as I reveal to you my favourite pop culture moments of the year.

1. biggest scandal

Who doesn’t love a scandal: the drama, the picking sides, the passive-aggressiveness. It’s too entertaining. This year we have seen a variety of scandals in not only the celebrity sector, but in the political sector too, with the Matt Hancock and Gina Coladangelo affair. Later in the year we also witnessed Jesy Nelson leaving Little Mix and the tensions that followed on from this. However, my favourite scandal of this year and arguably the biggest is…. *drumroll*….

Oprah’s Interview with Meghan and Harry

2. Best TikTok Trend

Another year spent addicted to TikTok. No surprises there! Yet again, we have watched a wide variety of trends flow in and out of our ‘for you pages’. A couple of my favourite sounds included, ‘you’re coming home with me’ and ‘are you happy to be in Paris…oui’. Taking into account the level of humour and how viral they went, I have chosen two winners because I cannot settle on one and therefore, my top two winners are…

The berries and cream trend and ‘spooning leads to forking trend

3. Most Bizarre Fashion Choice

The winner of this had an outfit that caused a lot of confusion and mystery. No one seemed to fully understand the meaning behind this outfit but that certainly did not stop people speculating as to what it meant, and although we could not see this person’s face, we instantly recognised who it was…

Kim Kardashian at the MET Gala.

4. Best Album

The winner of this award was a tough choice as we have seen some incredible new albums this year including Adele’s ‘30’ and an ‘Evening with Silk Sonic’. Both were very strong contenders, and I could not be happier to have new music from Adele again. The decision for this award is very much down to taste and my reason for choosing this album is based on how many of the songs I listen to on a regular basis. Therefore, the winner is…

‘Sour’ by Olivia Rodrigo

5. Best New TV Show

This year we have binge-watched hours and hours of shows and yes felt guilty about it but done nothing to change. In January, ‘Bridgerton’ quickly became popular and who doesn’t have a crush on Regé-Jean Page. Then towards the end of the year we saw the gruesome ‘Squid Game’; another binge-worthy show. However, my favourite new tv show of this year has to be one that encouraged me to become engaged in the whole Marvel cinematic universe….

WandaVision

6. Most Heart-breaking Moment

No explanation needed.

Jürgen leaving The Great British Bake Off

Words by: Chloe Hill

Edited by: Ella Dayer

Hi! I'm a Communication and Media student at the University of Leeds. I love to chat about music, fashion and popular culture!