S/S 2013’s Top Trend: 90s Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

To be honest, I never thought I’d see the day when the fashion trends of my quite purposefully forgotten childhood returned to the catwalk. An era in which I saw myself rock a totally impractical inflatable backpack, tasteless hair scrunchies and a garish gymnastic leotard was not one I thought I would be revisiting.  However, ASOS are now pioneering a range suspiciously reminiscent of my old school backpack, American Apparel are bringing back the scrunchie, and our very own local vintage store Best Leeds are reviving a sports classic.

It seems we have couture designers Balmain, DSquared2, Dries Van Notes and Topshop Unique to thank for the nineties comeback which has filtered its way down to the stores of the British high street.  From Balmain, we were shown exaggerated shoulder-pads peeking out from extra-long, dress-length blazers bearing harlequin patterns and stripes. Also gracing the runway were retro-Versace inspired black and yellow two piece ensembles that wouldn’t be seen out of place poured onto the likes of Cindy Crawford back in the day.

While over at DSquared2, model of the moment and champion of all-things-trendy Cara Delevingne gave her approval to the nineties trend by sporting the monochrome ensemble of tiny black shorts, a tight white tee and a teeny leather style bra.  But it was the accessories that stole the show. It was all about large gold links in the form of brash belts and chains big enough to make a 90s rapper jealous. Models were adorned with solid gold chains on their ankles, wrists, waists and necks and decorated with heavy strings of pearls. The most classic 90s accessories of all also made an appearance with a modern day twist: the baker boy cap in leather. Boot-cut, high waisted jeans were also on show, as well as lace bustier tops, white t-shirts and quilted leather in tight, teeny shapes that might make our mothers slightly nervous.

There are two divisions of 90s fashion being revived in 2013: the sexy, supermodel monochrome à la Christy Turlington, and the grungy, just-rolled-out-of-bed look that Courtney Love was seen rocking back in the day. This is a look that our very own British high street store Topshop has heralded in the form of floral slip dresses, oversized checked shirts and Levi’s-inspired high-waisted boyfriend jeans.

However, my favourite homage to 90s fashion cannot be ignored – Wildfox Couture’s Spring/Summer 2013 collection ‘Kids in America’ was a genius tribute to iconic 90s film Clueless. The lookbook journeys through the entire film set, from Cher’s mansion of a home to Rodeo Drive, showcasing the character’s best looks.  Cher’s famous yellow skirt suit is so beyond retro it’s amazing, and along with a fluffy rucksack and the pimped up P.E outfits you wish you could have gotten away with in school, a fantastically styled up look is born. The whole thing just makes me want to buy the entire collection – and Cher’s 90s layered mid-length hair with it.  

Wildfox Couture ‘Kids in America’ Lookbook

If you need to look to the A-listers for inspiration, look to none other than music’s finest, Rihanna for guidance. Always being somewhat ahead of the game, Rihanna has been showcasing a selection of 90s looks for quite sometime. Way back in November at Victoria Secret’s annual 2012 fashion show, Rihanna turned attention away from the skimpily clad underwear models and onto her dramatic 90s fashion statement. Strings of pearl chokers, pearl encrusted John Lennon -shaped sunglasses and above-the-elbow lace gloves were the perfect retro accessories to a thigh-high split black bustier dress.  If you’re not looking to be quite so in-your-face, to Rihanna’s vintage Calvin Klein mini-dress styled with strappy heels and classic gold jewellery for a subtler version of 90s fashion.

It’s a trend that brings a giddy nostalgia, one of childlike excitement, and one that makes fashion fun again. Long gone are the days where fashion was about trying desperately hard to be effortlessly cool. This trend is injecting some playfulness back into the way we dress. So much so that I’ve rooted out my old personalized velvet headband that I searched Claire’s accessories high and low for, and am wearing it as I write.