Solomon and Atlanta: A Story of Heartbreak, Lost Time, and Sexuality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

While I usually gravitate towards more light-hearted, action-packed plays, Solomon and Atlanta’s rather somber, slow-paced production was a refreshing change to my usual choices. This is not to say the play was boring – in fact, far from it. Rather, I was struck by the themes explored, which left me in deep reflection hours after the show had ended. Most notably, I was particularly impacted by the tragedy of Solomon and Atlanta’s relationship. As a result, I felt motivated to live in the moment and act on my impulses, rather than abide by society’s dictated norms. Even though the play was specifically about relationships and sexuality, I think the message of the play can be applied to many aspects of life, thereby demonstrating the relatability and versatility of the show. 

I cannot write this review without mentioning the amazing set production and use of both lighting and props. The bright red envelopes which hung all around the set contributed to the play’s nostalgic and eerie atmosphere. It felt as if the characters were trapped in some bizarre, time-warped dimension, where time was not progressing. I believe this directly links to the message of the play itself and how we must move forward with our lives, following our instincts in order to progress in life. Otherwise, we will remain stuck in the same place. 

The lighting was simply spectacular. The use of the brightly lit backdrop and people moving behind it to create large shadow movements was extremely creative. It contributed to the overall nostalgic feel and was an imaginative way to resemble a movie-like montage. In my opinion, this was the most striking and attention-grabbing aspect of the staging. Moreover, the high quality of the production was assisted by the amazing acting of the cast. I was particularly impressed by the chemistry shared between the actors. 

The only constructive comment I have is that I felt it was slightly rushed. While the show touched on extremely deep issues of sexuality and relationships, I felt the true impact of the play and these messages could have been enhanced if it was slightly longer. I felt I did not get to know the characters well enough to form an attachment to them. Therefore, as it ended, I wasn’t as emotional as I expected. Nevertheless, I believe this production of Solomon and Atlanta was an amazing effort and should be experienced by everyone.

Written by: Elena Goss

Edited by: Joanne Spence-Thomas

Elena Goss

Leeds '25

Law student on exchange at the University of Leeds. Originally from Melbourne, Australia. Loves writing about pop culture and reviews on plays and movies.