Society Blog: Trampolining Blog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

I’m sure everyone universally has heard the phrase “You never forget how to ride a bike”, however what is rarely added to end of that sentence is “…but you sure won’t be as good as you were back then.” The latter part is particularly applicable to our society visit this week. Rebekah and I were lucky enough to get ourselves a gig at Leeds University Trampolining Society. Now before the session, I wasn’t too worried at all. I’d conquered the basics of the sport back in High School, so surely I’d make my way through this gracefully and without an ounce of effort.

Did I? Absolutely not.

The first problem that came about was (in theory) something relatively straightforward; getting on to the trampoline. This wouldn’t be an issue for the majority of people. However, the majority of people don’t stand at a measly height of 5”1, so trying to get my munchkin legs to generate enough power to get onto the contraption was a workout within itself. After overcoming that traumatising experience, I took on the real challenge of beginning to bounce on the trampoline. I quickly figured out that the only trick I knew how to do was a seat- drop (pictured below), and as you can see, it’s not the most visually impressive move in the book. At the time though I thought I was an Olympic Champion, short legs and all.

The Committee 

Standing by and observing some of the regular members made me realise just how far from that title I was. Fearlessly, they plunged themselves into the air, twisting and turning so many times it made me feel dizzy. And when I say fearlessly, I mean it. On so many occasions I clutched onto Rebekah’s arm in terror, whilst muttering “they’re going to die” over and over. The experienced athletes were bouncing so high I thought that at any second they would just plummet off the trampoline and in to impending doom. Of course the coaches watching had everything under control, so nothing would go wrong. I just have an over-active imagination.

What I did take away from the session was a revival of a trick I’d learnt back in High School. A backdrop involves landing on your back on the trampoline, then going straight to your feet. I guess it’s true that I’m used to sitting around on my butt all day, as at first I kept landing on my rear end as opposed to my back. After some wonderful help by the coach however, I managed to just about grasp the manoeuvre. Despite my success being menial, the coaches and society reps were nothing but supportive and friendly. Something we Her Campus bloggers needed to hear in our intimidating challenge!

Hannah doing a seat-drop

Rebekah:

Hannah and I have a small, funny, and maybe even pathetic sporting history together, so it seemed appropriate that we tried out this society. Although, can you class trampolining as a sport? At the start of the year we decided that we would be very healthy and go out running together… this only lasted once! We struggled on through however, powering up Cumberland Road (those of you living in Devonshire Halls will be able to empathise with the pain that ensues after ascending that horrific road at the end of a long day at uni), red hot and very sweaty. I had a strange sense of déjà vu when we began the running warm up for trampolining, which amounted to bursts of giggling that pretty much lasted the whole night! Indeed, we thought trampolining would be a bit of a laugh, but our cocky attitudes were cowed by the seemingly huge metal contraptions that were being put up. Now when I did trampolining at the age of about six years old, the trampolines were fixed in to the ground and they weren’t scary at all. What frightened me the most was the worry of falling off the thing! Similarly to Hannah, my jumping skills were below adequate in comparison to the more regular members of the society. I simply jumped up and down, which I thought was a great achievement considering how high I went (I think!). Even the coach looked suitably unimpressed when I told her that I have no trampolining experience whatsoever and so she talked me through doing a tuck jump, a pike, and a straddle. I soon even managed to do a little routine!

Despite our concentrated, yet pathetic, attempts to compete with the more extravagant routines on the trampolines, everyone was very welcoming and friendly. I can imagine that this society would be very good to meet more people as we all bonded over our trampolining routines. Hannah and I were astonishingly awful (don’t take offense Hannah!) whereas the others were definitely not. We both had a chat with the committee who are pictured below. I was impressed by how some of the members compete with other universities, and how there are multiple sessions during the week. It seemed like the society involves members who want to be involved at a more relaxed level, as well as catering for the more serious.

All in all, this was a fun society to tag along to for a week. I don’t think it was quite my cup of tea somehow, but it was certainly an experience! I would highly recommend the Trampolining Society for those who want to ‘aim high’ and try out something new.

Rebekah trying to bounce high

All images are the writers’ own.