Secret Sant-spiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

A standard student Christmas involves a full Christmas dinner, boozy Christmas films on the sofa and, of course, Secret Santa! A friend recently told me that they hadn’t done Secret Santa since being at school, but they’re missing out! If you haven’t already picked names from a hat, you need to get on it! Secret Santa is lots of fun and an affordable way to spread joy and to budget.

Spending tends to be capped at around £10, which can be limiting. This year, instead of going for the classic bail-out option of a bag of Haribo, new biros and cheap nail varnish, why not try to something a bit more creative to make your pennies go further. Here are a few ideas and tips to channel your inner elf.

Jars of Love:

Filling a jar with bits and bobs can cost you next to nothing and look really sweet whilst being a personal gift and classic bit of banter. Ikea sell good old-fashioned glass jars for just £1.25. You can make a variety of jars, whether it be a Spa Jar filled with free samples collected over the years from magazine pages and promotions, stolen hotel toiletries, mini soap bars, flannels, little candles, or a Treats Jar, filled with assorted sweets and indulgences, it’s up to you. Finish it off with a piece of ribbon and use a marker pen to write a festive message.

Vouchers:

Vouchers are particularly friendly for those that are excessively far into the overdraft. All you really need is some paper and some coloured pens and pencils. This is an especially good one for a housemate’s Secret Santa present. Make vouchers that can be cashed in over the year and decorate them with pretty colours and patterns. Potentials include ‘This Voucher Entitles the bearer to one weeks worth of washing up’ or ‘This Voucher Entitles the bearer to my free Cheese burger at McDonalds after a night out’ or ‘This Voucher entitles the bearer to one hangover breakfast, regardless of the providers own condition’. You can write what you’d like; simple, easy, funny and sweet.

Sweet Treats:

Another option for your Secret Santa is the gift of sweet treats. It’s easy and penny friendly to knock up a few bits and pieces in the kitchen. You can make a chocolate slab by sprinkling nuts, seeds, dried fruit and other toppings into a baking paper lined baking tray, before pouring melted chocolate over and setting to cool in the fridge. You can use different types of chocolate (white, milk or dark) to make a marbled effect. Alternative toppings include maltesers, caramel pieces, popping candy, gummy sweets, salt (but go easy) and chilli flakes (but again, be careful not to overdo it!) Alternative sweet treats include a batch of biscuits, jams and preserves or fudge. Finish by putting your sweet treats in a polythene bag and tie shut with a festive ribbon.

With these penny saving ideas in mind, I hope you have a Secret Santa Christmas at uni this year, knowing that you can give a great gift without breaking the bank!

Daisy Searle

Picture Sources:

http://misiuk.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/valentines-day-23-days-5-sweet-gift.html

http://kars-world-88.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/with-love-from.html

http://www.oetker.co.uk/uk-en/rezepte/r/valentines-chocolate-slab.html

Final year Design Student.