Saturday Night Takeaway Controversy: Ant and Dec’s Drag Display Generates 59 Ofcom Complaints

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Ant and Dec’s ‘Saturday Night Takeaway’ is back on our TV screens – here’s to the return of Ant v Dec, the happiest minute of the week, and, of course, win the ads! Produced since 2002 (only one year younger than me!), the TV show has been bringing families together round their TV’s at 7pm on a Saturday night for light-hearted, feel-good entertainment, hosted by National Television Awards’ “Most Popular TV Presenters“. This series opener was definitely one to watch, with all the best bits of Saturday Night we’ve enjoyed for 20 years. But, alongside the applause of the launch came inevitable backlash…

Hosted by RuPaul, the programme included a drag-themed ‘End of the Show Show.’ It was led by RuPaul’s Drag Race UK winners Krystal Versace, Laurence Chaney and The Vivienne. Within the closing segment, the finale saw hosts Ant and Dec appear in drag, with their new identities, Lady Antoinette (Ant) and Miss Donna Lee (Dec). The pair strutted across the stage whilst singing the new charity single ‘We Werk Together’, which raises funds for the Trussell Trust, a UK food bank organisation. Lady Antoinette glowed in a black mini dress, paired with a huge redhead wig whilst the blondie Miss Donna Lee flaunted a navy number, complete with a feather boa. Despite the cheering of astonishment and amazement from audience members, many members of the public had complaints to make.

Along with 59 Ofcom complaints from viewers claiming the appearance was not appropriate for family viewing, many viewers took to Twitter to claim their distaste. Some claimed that there was a ‘time and a place’ for this type of ‘adult entertainment’, with others claiming that the performance was an act of ‘womanface’, offending women across the globe and ultimately mocking the drag community, as it ignored the hurt and anguish behind the need for drag.

Despite this, other viewers commended that this was a great form of Saturday night entertainment and thoroughly enjoyed the pair’s performance, with many responding to criticism around children viewing with statements such as ‘have you never taken your child to a panto before?’. Others applauded how refreshing it was to see the performance as part of ordinary Saturday night TV, and how this would make a significant difference to young people watching at home who felt that wanting to be a drag queen was something virtually impossible to achieve in everyday life.

Although there were many complaints to Ofcom, as well as statements on Twitter, I believe that the fact that Ant and Dec’s performance was even included as a general segment in the show proves how far family TV has come in recent years, embracing even more cultures, lifestyles, and identities. With any traditionally ‘different’ segment brought to much-loved TV shows will always come discussion, whether good or bad, and I just hope that this transition to more diverse television will start to become accepted, as well as respected, by all members of the public.

The charity single ‘We Werk Together’ is available on all popular streaming platforms. All proceeds will go directly to the Trussell Trust foodbank organisation.

Words by: Holly Harrison

Edited by: Tamikka Reid

Hey! I'm a first year at the University of Leeds studying for a degree in English Literature and Language. I love reading, cooking and exploring the countryside and I also enjoy playing my piano!