This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

I’d only been sat in the theatre for all of two minutes before the simply stunning set of Antigone came to life. On the 11th May 2013 I was fortunate enough to see the PCI (Performance and Cultural Industries) production of ‘Antigone’ at Stage@Leeds and despite the story ending in traged,y the performances were anything but. ‘Antigone’ tells the powerful story of a wedding that was doomed from the start. Set in a wedding shop the play is a modern take on the Sophocles’ original text creating a much more visually spectacular performance and addressing many issues not previously explored – including what the characters personal identity really means and how politics and social restrictions all play a part in it all.

If I’m being honest, I didn’t go to see the performance with all that high expectations, simply believing it was going to be yet another modern adaptation of a famous Greek mythology. Well I’m more than glad to say I was very much mistaken. From the moment the play begun I felt gripped into a story of love and desperation and how power could send someone stir crazy.  I can honestly say it’s nothing like I’ve seen before and the intensity of the drama had me at the edge of my seat! By far the best way to spend a Saturday evening rather than watching the usual rubbish on television!

Real credit should go out to the scriptwriters for their take on this story, all brought to life with outstanding performances by many of the cast. I want to award particular recognition to the actress who played the beautiful but doomed Antigone. Her portrayal of the character was dramatic and moving to say the least. Credit also needs to be given to the actor who played the scarily manipulative Creon. To deliver a performance that powerful and undermining at this stage of his career shows he is bound to go far. The West End beckons for these and many other cast members too.

This was of course all enhanced by the use of a spectacular set, taking full advantage of the capabilities of the Stage@Leeds building, alongside the very creative use of props and costume. Overall I found this play tragic, moving, emotional and gripping yet intertwined with moments of slight happiness – particularly in the rather emotional wedding scene. Apart from the occasional slip up of a line, the show was faultless in my view and the cast and crew should be immensely proud of themselves. A stunning performance. I will be looking out for more from the scriptwriters and cast in the future. 

For more informaton about stage@leeds performances check out their website.

You can also find out more about Performance and Cultural Industries here.

Image source:

www.stage.leeds.ac.uk/index.html