Culture > News

R Kelly: Sexual Assault in the Music Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

For a long time now, there has been a clear issue in the music industry – the sexual abuse of women by those in positions of power. R Kelly is one of many to finally face the consequences of his actions. Music producer, singer-songwriter and now convicted sex offender. He has been credited with shaping R&B and hip hop throughout his career, winning 3 Grammy awards for his hit song “I Believe I Can Fly”. He has also been known to call himself the “Pied Piper of Music”. Unfortunately, the more sinister part of this fairy tale – the pied piper using his magic pipe to lure away underage kids from the safety of their homes – is more fitting than previously thought.

On Monday, Sep. 27 in New York, R Kelly was found guilty of using his fame to entice young women and children to sexually abuse them. For decades rumours grew, and more accusations came to light of sexual misconduct, usually with underage girls. Many of his victims were brainwashed and encouraged to cut ties with their families in order to stay connected to him. The documentary ‘Surviving R Kelly’ was released in January 2019, which included the allegations of sexual assault, which caused him to be dropped from RCA records as a result of public pressure. Over 50 testimonies were heard by the court from his victims and this evidence meant he was found guilty of 8 counts of sex trafficking and 1 count of racketeering.

There were many harrowing statements from his victims, with one victim testifying that he abused her for over 5 years. It began when she was 17 years old in 2015, with Kelly making promises to advance her music career. The victim also unknowingly contracted herpes when she was 17, making the situation morally and legally worse as it is a legal requirement to inform a sexual partner if you have a sexually transmitted disease. His physician confirmed that R Kelly knew about his condition as he was first prescribed herpes medication in 2007.

His relationship with the late R&B singer, Aaliyah, was also featured in the trial. When she was only 15 years old in 1994, R Kelly illegally acquired documents to marry her through bribing a government worker. The certificate was leaked which listed her age as 18, causing the marriage to be annulled months after. Aaliyah’s debut album ‘Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number’ was produced by R Kelly. The title left me, among others, uncomfortable as it highlighted Kelly’s grooming and how untouchable he felt.

However, it wasn’t only R Kelly who was involved in these crimes. Many of his colleagues have admitted to helping silence his accusers. His tour manager, Demetrius Smith, has confessed to bribing a government official into making a false welfare ID for Aaliyah. Many of these associates have been charged and are being held accountable for their actions.

R Kelly, however, is not the only man in the music industry to abuse his power. In recent years, many women have come forward with stories of abuse during their music careers. Lady Gaga revealed that she was sexually abused for months by a male music producer at the age of 19. The music producer threatened to destroy her music if she refused any of his advances. The abuse only came to a halt when she fell pregnant with his child.

Before the trial, we had all heard about the allegations surrounding R Kelly since the early 2000s. So why have his actions been allowed to continue for so long? Ignoring the issues with power dynamics in the music industry makes it a scary career path for women to take. It is vital to provide support networks for women entering the music industry so that they are not scared to speak up against those who take advantage. We also need to make clear to men who abuse their position that they are not above the law.

Words by: Saffron Mubika

Edited by: Holly Phillips

Hey! I am a second year medical student at Leeds who enjoys writing about music and cultural issues.