This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

This week Her Campus Leeds talks to those invovled in Leeds Rag Fashion Show ahead of tonights show!

Hey and thanks for talking to us here at Her Campus! We’re very excited for this year’s LRFS as we’re sure you are too. Firstly can you introduce yourself?

Hi, I’m Lauren Wood, I’m a Capricorn, vegetarian. (Desperately hoping you get the Legally Blonde reference) All jokes aside, I’m a fourth year English student and you more than likely won’t see me wearing any other colour than black.

Is this your first year of being involved with LRFS?

Yes, this is my first year of being involved with LRFS. However, I have been to previous shows to support my friend who has modelled in the show before (she’s also the head stylist this year.)

How did you find the selection process for models this year? Was there a big turnout?

At first, I think we were extremely apprehensive about the number of people that were going to turn up. At the first casting, I think we only saw about 15 people over two hours. However, overall we had around 150 people who came to castings, which made it incredibly difficult to choose our models for this year.

Were there any particular qualities you were looking for when selecting this year’s models?

For me personally, I applied for the model manager role with the intention of trying to get more models into the show who were representative of the student body. I think in the past, the show has only contained a particular kind of model, with no diversity what so ever. This year we wanted models who have personality, attitude and confidence, and most importantly would bring it to the catwalk.

The show is called Samsara and is all about eco friendly fashion – how did you go about choosing this and why?

I think the important message behind choosing Samsara is it associated with rebirth, renewal, the cycle of life and this is the message we are trying to convey in our show. We want to demonstrate that at the heart of eco-friendly fashion lies the message of using what we have now to contribute to a more sustainable future, and therefore thinking more conscientiously about the impact we have as humans on the environment.

How have rehearsals been going? And how often are they?

Rehearsals have been going surprisingly well so far. However, I think this is because we did a preliminary rehearsal before the Christmas break and then we have had each scene (of which there are six) rehearsing once a week, for the past four weeks. Aswell, as the two big rehearsals the weekend before the show. It’s taken upon a lot of our time and we really have put our all into this role, but we keep going because we know the end result will be worth it.

What can we expect from the show? Any inside scoops you can provide us with?

It’s definitely a show that runs more like a narrative with a message, that the audience can take home with them and hopefully will be encouraged to be more sustainable in their own lives. From our side of things, I think you’re just going to have to wait and see.

Thank you! HCXO