PROFILE: Julia Connor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

This week’s profile is from Her Campus President veteran Julia Connor…

Tell me a bit about yourself

Hello! Well I used to be Her Campus’ Co-President back in the day (2014/15) now I’m a 4th Year BA Linguistics and Philosophy student still adjusting back to uni life after a year in industry.

How did you get involved in The Gryphon as the Online Clubs Editor?

I was writing for the section all of last year in my spare time, reviewing some events, writing a few features and doing the odd interview. I also managed to convince the old Editors I’d be good at the role because of my past leadership experience with HC, and the fact I spent last year in the working world so I know how to manage my time etc! I also do some electronic music journalism with another publication so I like to think I know what I’m talking about.

What do you enjoy the most about this role?

I really enjoy being a mentor, especially helping new writers to grow within the society and helping them with their writing style. I also find it rewarding when we help out up-and-coming event promoters in Leeds by spreading the word about them and helping them connect with new party-goers. I also love meeting new like-minded people (but who doesn’t?!)

What do you find most challenging?

Not gonna lie there can be difficult people who can be a bit arrogant, but I’m a believer that you can get as much out of learning how to deal with difficult people as you can from dealing with easy-going ones! It’s good practice for life knowing how to remain cool, calm, collected and professional.

How do you organise your time?

I’m a 9-5 kinda girl with uni work and then I try and dedicate evenings to The Gryphon – editing, uploading, liaising with writers, promoters and PR people. It’s all about finding the balance and knowing when you can actually afford to dip in and out of your different responsibilities.

Is there anything exciting coming up in the pipeline that you want to tell people about?

I’m making it my aim to secure some high profile interviews for the Clubs section before I graduate, so watch out for that if you’re into electronic music! I should also use this opportunity as a shameless plea to like us on Facebook ‘The Gryphon Clubs’ – we mostly do reviews of nightlife events happening in and around Leeds so if you’re keen to branch out from the usual weekly nights, we’re here for you! It’s also well worth picking up a printed copy of the Gryphon on campus every week for a huge variety of journalism!

I’ll end by saying that HC will always have a special place in my heart too <3 a truly wonderful inclusive society for meeting genuinely lovely ladies J

University of Leeds student.