Podcast of the Week: Serial

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

A podcast a week keeps the doctor away…So keep your ears peeled for our weekly recommendations. 

In the past year or so podcasts have had their come back, they are everywhere. Their growth in popularity over the last few years has meant there is a Podcast on pretty much anything you can think of from true crime, to music and everything in between. Over the past year I’ve become utterly obsessed with them so, whether you’re new to podcasts or like me, listen to one every night, here’s my podcast of the week:

Week 1: Serial

By far my favourite podcast ever, Serial is a crime podcast based around the true story of the murder of Baltimore high school student Hae Min Lee in 1999. If you like true crime podcasts or television for that matter, then read no more, download this and give it a listen. If you need a little more convincing, the story line follows the police investigation and eventual arrest of her classmate and ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed. Sarah Koenig hosts the podcast and tells the story beautifully. It is gripping, emotive and very intense. Once the story has you fully hooked, you’ll be pleased to know there’s a related podcast called Undisclosed, which really goes into the finer elements and nitty gritty of the whole case.  

Alex Millward