The Perfect Pancake for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

It’s that time of year again – Pancake Day. The day that gives you licence to eat as many pancakes as you’d like without being called greedy. Pancakes are a delicacy that’s loved all over the world. Every culture has a pancake whether it is sweet and plain or rich in savoury spices. Tired of making the same standard pancake each year? Feel like trying something different? Why not make this Pancake Day different by finding out what’s out there and discovering the perfect pancake for you?

1.French Crêpes

Lover of French culture, food and all things French and fabulous? Then a French Crêpe is the perfect Pancake for you. This sweet pancake is very common in France and has been a part of French history since old Roman rituals of harvest and fertility. Crêpes follow a simple recipe and are great for those who like to have flexibility with what they want on their pancakes. Crêpes are great with sweet fillings like chocolate or savoury cheeses and sautéed vegetables.

2.American Pancakes

For those that love North American food, American Buttermilk Pancakes are perfect for you. These pancakes have a fluffy texture and are often stacked high so make sure that you’re hungry before eating. They are easy to make and simple toppings such as butter, maple syrup or cream go perfectly with them.

3. Japanese Okonomiyaki Pancakes

If you’ve never eaten a Japanese pancake then why not give it a go? ‘Okonomi’ means what you want and ‘yaki’ means grilled or cook. Pretty self-explanatory? This Japanese savoury pancake contains a variety of different ingredients of your choice. There are countless variations of this type of pancake. Topics and batters change according to which region in Japan it’s made in. Common fillings include seafood, meat, cheese, wasabi, mayonnaise or plum sauce.

4.Venezuelan and Colombian Cachapas

If Latin American food and culture is your thing then maybe Venezuelan and Colombian Cachapas is for you.  These corn pancakes are usually folded over fresh melted cheese. If you don’t like cheese, butter is a good alternative. These pancakes are best steaming hot. The key ingredient to these sweet pancakes is the corn. The corn gives the cachapas a strong sweet taste.

5.Burger Pancakes

Fancy trying something that you never thought that you could do? The recipe requires you to use sandwich-thick American style pancakes for the bun and double chocolate chip cookies for the meat. This fun activity can be enjoyed with like-minded creative people.

6.Indian Uttapam Pancakes

Feel like trying something that is versatile? Want to be healthy and have vegetables in your pancake? Indian Uttapam pancakes are made with blended batter and black lentil. They are often mixed with spices and chopped onions. This thick pancake originates from Southern India.

7.Finnish Pannukakku Pancakes

Panukakku pancakes taste good and are easy to make. They can be rectangular or circular shaped and have a puffy texture. People like to eat these with cream, fruit and other sweet things.

8. Sweet Pizza Pancakes

At first glance these pancakes look like a normal pizza but don’t be fooled. The base is a pancake and the toppings are sweet things to your choice. Sweet Pizza Pancakes is great if you feel like experimenting and letting out your artistic side.

9.Pannekoek Pancakes

These pancakes are typically South African but are also enjoyed by the Dutch as well. This pancake is great if you like the crêpe-style texture of French pancakes but want to experiment a bit. These milk tart with cinnamon crumble pancakes are sweet and ideal for breakfast, a light snack or desert.

10.English Pancake

And last but not least is the English Pancake. If you like to keep things traditional then this is the perfect pancake for you. These are typically served with lemon and sugar but golden syrup, nutella and honey are also popular topping selections.

French Crepe photo available from:

http://justchillfroyo.com/crepes/

Japanese Okonomiyaki photo available from:

http://www.closetcooking.com/2009/05/okonomiyaki-japanese-pancake.html

Burger Pancake photo available from:

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/537323/burger-pancakes

Pizza Pancake available from:

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/537316/24-things-you-never-thought-t…