New Year, New Semester, New Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

The echoing sound of suitcases against gravel can only mean one thing- the start of a new semester. From halls to Hyde Park, January means students flock back to Leeds after a very well deserved Christmas break (you know, after working so, so hard in the first semester). Reunions with family and friends from home, copious amounts of mince pies and multiple food babies was a fitting way to end 2014 for many. However, during the festive season, one cannot help but reflect on the previous year and wonder about the coming one. This leads to the infamous trend that is setting “New Year’s Resolutions’’. Half of us believe that once they are set, they are doomed to be broken within the first couple of weeks, whereas the other half use them as a motivational start to fulfilling personal goals. Despite cringing at those “New Year, New Me’’ Facebook statuses, a little part in all of us want to change certain things in our lives, in light of a better and happier year.  

I’m going to get the most controversial and maybe most common of resolutions I hear people talk about; fitness and body image. The female generation have always been particularly conscious of bodies, weight, calories and all that fun stuff. However, it has reached an ultimate high in 2014 with the increasing influence of celebrities and social media. Mainly stemming from the popular smartphone app Instagram, common examples range from the Kim K ‘’belfie’’ to the public outrage ex Made in Chelsea star Millie Mackintosh caused, by posting images of herself whilst being ‘’too thin’’. Yet whether it is the ever so beautiful Victoria’s Secret Angels to the infamous and curvaceous Kardashian clan, such constant exposure can make some feel somewhat unsatisfied with their body. Especially somewhere between that first Christmas selection box and last vodka shot on NYE. But instead of burying your head into bags of Dairy Milk Buttons whenever you have a stressful deadline (we’ve all been there), some may use 2015 as a kick-start to a healthier lifestyle. Whether it is aiming to go to The Edge a couple of times a week, or simply swapping white bread for brown, these are legitimate steps to gradually becoming a healthier person. Try not to set goals that are too vague or unhealthy such as the clichéd ‘’be skinnier’’, or goals that are too specific, such as ‘’lose 1st 7lb by February’’, as this is likely to cause stress and maybe drive one to give up. Just bear in mind a healthy goal and keep positive inspiration around you. Even if it is Nicki Minaj’s colossal behind that helps you do those squats! 

Another factor that is common among New Year’s Resolutions usually regards the likes of other people and relationships. I’m sure many of us have rediscovered our secret introverted selves after coming home from a socially buzzing university lifestyle, to spending a lot of time with old acquaintances called bed and Netflix. But it is still very important to consider those that you will be surrounding yourself with in 2015. Even if it is calling your Grandma more often or texting that friend you don’t see as much, use this year to maintain strong bonds with those you care for and to surround yourself with only positive people. As well as strengthening existing relationships, many see the New Year as a chance to create new ones. This task is made significantly easier when attending a university that boasts an overwhelming 31,900 people, while being located in a city that is renowned for having a thriving student scene. For example, after (drunkenly) peeling yourself from your bed to attend those 9am lectures, maybe sit on a busy row rather than sitting on your own. This way you are much more likely to meet people on your new modules and hopefully make some more course mates. Obviously this is a lot easier said than done when realistically all one wants to do on those early, chilly and foggy mornings is get back into the foetal position and sleep. But as one too many wise Facebook friends have said; ’”New Year, New You’’. Maybe re-read this paragraph the night before when you are in the taxi home from Mission, you know, so you are more likely to remember to set those alarms?

Let’s be honest, girls being girls, there will always be way more than two objectives on any list we make. So if you haven’t made any New Year’s Resolutions yet, start now. If you have, add more. Want to take up a new hobby? Join a society. It really is as simple as that. Even if your list ends up ranging from something as small as trying to stop biting your nails to something as big as achieving a First, as cheesy as it sounds, anything is possible if you put your mind to it. If there are hurdles in the way of achieving your goals, overcome them, and if that doesn’t work, simply just kick them over. On that motivational (and slightly aggressive note), make 2015 your year.

Image Sources:

1.     http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/35l94x

2.     https://pr.newshub.org/empresas-aprovechan-moda-de-traseros-grandes-6230926.html

3.     http://www.wallpapershub.in/new-year-fireworks-2015.html