This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

(in no particular order…)

1. All Too Well (10 Minute Version) – Taylor Swift

The internet went absolutely crazy when Taylor Swift dropped Red (Taylor’s Version), one of the main reasons being the additional ‘From the Vault’ tracks. Don’t get me wrong, the original Red album is iconic but the addition of songs featuring artists like Phoebe Bridgers, and acoustic versions of the songs we know so well made Red (Taylor’s Version) one of the most popular albums of 2022. 

‘All Too Well (10 Minute Version)’ is a necessity for coping with heartbreak, break ups, or just anything at all really.

2. As It Was – Harry Styles

Another song that went viral on TikTok within hours of it being released, and all for the right reasons. The opening snippet of his goddaughter speaking, the riff repeated throughout and the lyrics creates an instantly memorable song.

Somehow, Harry Styles manages to set the saddest lyrics to music that makes you want to dance along. ‘As It Was’ may not have been my nomination from this album (*cough cough* Cinema, Satellite, Matilda) but it is moving and uplifting.

3. About Damn Time – Lizzo

Again, another song that was all over social media when the single dropped. This was nominated for Song of the Year, Pop Solo Performance, winning Record of the Year (and rightly so). 

In her acceptance speech, Lizzo called Prince her inspiration and said, “When we lost Prince I decided to dedicate my life to making positive music” … well, look no further as this song radiates positivity and is definitely the feel-good tune we needed to dance our way through 2022.

4. BREAK MY SOUL – Beyoncé

Absolutely deserved to win Dance Recording of the Year – this is a song that’s going to be played in clubs for a while. Such a catchy song, definitely one that will get you dancing!

5. CUFF IT – Beyoncé

One of my favourites from the Renaissance album. This song feels like a very classic Beyoncé song, think ‘Love on Top’ meets ‘Crazy in Love’, but with a modern twist. Considering that Renaissance means ‘revival’ or ‘rebirth’, the fact that this song seems simultaneously classic Beyoncé but also fresh and new makes it perfect for her comeback album!

6. Don’t Shut Me Down – ABBA

From ABBA’s comeback album Voyage, which paved the way for the incredible ABBA Voyage concert. Feels like a very typical ABBA song, definitely perfect for a little dance around the living room. Honestly, like ‘CUFF IT’ on Beyonce’s Renaissance album, ‘Don’t Shut Me Down’ was perfect for ABBA’s comeback album!

7. Chaise Longue – Wet Leg

Honestly, this was a slightly controversial choice for the Grammy’s; I didn’t expect to see Wet Leg on the list of nominations, let alone this track. Not my first choice from this album but still a good contender. The style is definitely not for everyone but for those alt-indie girls out there, it’s great. 

8. Finding Me – Viola Davis

This audiobook recording of Finding Me won Spoken Word Album of the Year, making Viola Davis the third Black female to achieve EGOT status. It is a moving, personal memoir recording her childhood and her journey to being one of the most outstanding actresses. Honestly, for me this slipped under the radar slightly but it absolutely deserves all the praise that it has received. Definitely a must-listen for this year!

9. Into the Woods (2022 Broadway Cast Recording)

This was the cast recording that won Musical Theatre Album of the Year. I love Sara Bareilles and Phillipa Soo, and putting their voices together is an INSANELY good combination. Brian d’Arcy James was a surprise but his voice is amazing and calming… he’s 100% suited to the role of the Baker!

Until this point, I’d been listening to the Motion Picture Soundtrack but this is now the version I will have on repeat. Some of the highlights from this cast recording include ‘A Very Nice Prince’, ‘No One is Alone’ and ‘Finale: Children Will Listen’.

10. We Don’t Talk About Bruno (from Encanto) – Lin-Manuel Miranda

This song is yet another one on this list that went crazy on TikTok when the film came out. From the harmonies to the interaction between different parts, this song is so much fun to listen to and very catchy!

Written by: Gabrielle Estorninho

Edited by: Amarachi Ibanga

A second year English Literature and Portuguese student who loves writing, music, coffee, reading and is passionate about social issues :)