This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

One of the biggest thrills that you’ll ever see me get is after someone asks me if I want to go out for a pint with them, and in Leeds I think that there are almost too many amazing opportunities to do so! Even if you limit yourself to the infamous Otley Run alone, you’re overwhelmed with the number of places you can sit down, grab a drink and natter for hours on end with your mates. Therefore, to narrow this down (at least a little bit) for you, in this article, I’m back with yet another list of some of my favourite places that I’ve found in my first year of studying in Leeds, but this time we’re talking bars and pubs.

The Original Oak (LS6)

(Image: Facebook)

This place is the epitome of a classic Yorkshire pub atmosphere! On a sunny day, the beer garden at The Original Oak is probably one of the busiest spots in Leeds (second only to Woodhouse Moor), and after having quite a few pints here, I can definitely see why. The wholesome interior paired with a great selection of drinks and cheap pub grub- during Freshers I managed to a bag a Peroni and a burger for £1.50- makes for nothing but an enjoyable experience.

The Dry Dock (LS2)

(Image: On Magazine)

The Dry Dock is one of my favourite pubs that serves bevs in a boat, on land. Actually, I’m pretty sure that it’s the only pub that serves bevs in a boat, on land! It featured in my last ‘Greatest Locations’ article because the final stop on the Otley Run serves up some pretty delicious food, too. You should definitely take some time out of your day to have a few here, that’s for sure.

Brudenell Social Club (LS6)

(Image: Trip Advisor)

This working men’s club is made up of cooky 1950s décor, and has a never-ending line up of up-and-coming bands. They also manage to squeeze in some really big names secretly, too! (Although I’ve never been lucky enough to stumble on any secret gigs, The Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand and The Cribs have played here before.) For all of these reasons, this bar and music venue is very big with students, and so it should be!

Belgrave Music Hall and Canteen (LS2)

(Image: The Culture Vulture)

Live music, comedy, film, theatre and art fills the entire three floors of Belgrave Music Hall and Canteen. Complete with a roof terrace, great drinks and fast food, the owners of this place seem to have completely hit the nail on the head. You could spend your whole night out here, if you wanted to!

The Botanist (LS1)

(Image: The Life Edit)

Just on the outskirts of Leeds’s Trinity shopping centre is the beautifully designed bar, The Botanist. Some things that I can ensure will be ticked off your list when visiting here are: the most delicious, unique cocktails, gorgeous rustic interiors, elegant gastro-pub food, and around three thousand photos that you’ve taken ready for your Instagram. Whether it be date night with a loved one, or catching up with your friends over drinks, you will definitely leave here happy.

BrewDog on North Street (LS2)

(Image: Happy Cow)

If craft beers and shuffleboard is your thing, you’re going to love this one. BrewDog is friendly, fun bar that’s perfect for meeting up with your mates. They regularly get guest beers in, which is a concept that I really like, and have what I can only imagine are world’s longest shuffleboards. Whatever you go into BrewDog for, you’ll bloody love it.

Roland’s (LS1)

(Image: Jeremy Kelly)

Roland’s is a petite, candlelit bar that gives off some serious peaceful, cosy-home vibes. I always visit here with my boyfriend after a meal out on a date night, and I’ve also been with a small group of friends. They usually have specials and a couple of drinks offers on that everyone is always more than taking advantage of. But mostly, I love Roland’s because it allows you to look out on the craziness of Call Lane in complete, juxtaposing bliss and content.

Roxy Ball Room (LS1)

(Image: Trip Advisor)

There are two Roxys in Leeds, which is great because Roxy Ball Room is nothing but a good time! It is a games bar, which might sound a bit geeky, but it is so much fun! You can choose from beer pong, table tennis, shuffleboard, using the photo booths, pool and much more. Roxy’s serve a real mixture of cocktails, beers, spirits and wines, so there’s something for everyone. I really can’t recommend here enough.      

Lover of all things food, books, music, politics and theatre, and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus at the University of Leeds. You can see more of my work at http://www.morganhrtley.wordpress.com and http://www.indiependent.co.uk/?s=Morgan+Hartley
Senior Editor for Leeds Her Campus 2018-19