Culture > News

Is It an Influencer’s Responsibility to Be Politically Active? 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

TW: War, References to Racism, References to Anti-Semitism, Israel and Palestine Conflict 

As the world’s attention has been focused on Gaza, particularly since the events on October 7th took place, many influencers have been expected to step up and use their platform to spread awareness about the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas. Having a substantial and loyal following is an ideal tool influencers can use to help keep their followers politically engaged and conscious of major global events. It is always satisfying to see your favourite TikTokers or YouTubers speaking on issues that are close to your heart or supporting your political beliefs, but have you ever stopped to consider whether they have any political background or experience to be educating millions of people? 

Of course, everyone is entitled to free speech and expression of their views, however it is worrying to think that many influencers have a young following of children or adolescents whose political views can be easily shaped or altered by their favourite online comedians or gamers. For example, back in 2017 PewDiePie, with 53 million YouTube subscribers at the time, posted a reaction video to two men holding up a banner stating an Anti-Semitic View. He claimed this video was a “joke,” yet it is worrying to contemplate how many young boys and girls saw that video and were influenced by this “joke”. However, this is an extreme case as, on the whole, social media influencers don’t tend to touch on politics in such disgusting, offensive ways. 

Influencers’ lack of political background does not make their views any less empowering or meaningful but could spark the construction of misinformation online. It is not an influencer’s job to educate followers, but arguably to sell products and promote brands. It is, therefore, quite puzzling that Gen Z is now looking to influencers for their political views and facts about major global events. Asking a company like Coca-Cola whether they support what the Israeli government is doing in Gaza would seem bizarre, yet why do we put on pressure on individual influencers to speak out?  

I, personally, always found this a strange expectation we hold influencers to but recently have been particularly intrigued by it due to the internet’s reaction to, TikToker and YouTuber, Brittany Broski remaining silent on the Israel-Hamas conflict. Last week a video was leaked from Brittany’s close friends story on Instagram in which she spoke about the pressure she felt to speak out on the issue. She compared this online pressure to living in a ‘dystopian universe’ and exclaimed, “in what universe am I a person to speak on this? I am the opposite of the person that should be speaking on this. But because I have a check mark and I have over a million [followers], immediately I am qualified.” Brittany went viral on TikTok in 2019 for posting a video of her tasting kombucha for the first time and since then has gained a following of 7.4 million. She did not gain fame for her political activism yet why does social media demand her to speak on political issues? 

Many on social media have criticised her for staying silent due to her being so outspoken on her platform during the Black Lives Matter Movement. However, I would argue that that particular political event was closer to home for her, through growing up in the American South, and that there was more accurate and accessible information about the BLM Movement than there is now about the conflict in Gaza. The conflict between Israelis and Palestinians is a complex, 75-year-long issue which must leave many influencers apprehensive to speak out on it, in fear of any miscommunication or offence being caused. 

Maya Abdullah, an outspoken TikToker on the Israel-Hamas conflict, has openly criticised Brittany Broski for her close friends story on Instagram, stating in a video “your ‘funny jokes’ can wait, there is a genocide happening.” But, again, since Brittany is solely famous for her funny TikTok videos, why should she be pressured into posting about politics? She has no political experience; instead of condemning influencers with no political background for remaining silent we should focus our attention onto politicians and hold them accountable for their lack of action in calling for a ceasefire in Gaza (such as the 294 MPs – 288 of which were Conservative – who voted against the notion). 

Maya Abdullah also stated that when Brittany Broski “begins her [next] podcast by making a ‘half-assed’ statement about how she cares about Palestinians, she absolutely fucking does not give a fuck about Palestinian lives and is being forced to do that pretty much for clout and to keep her sponsorships.” This idea that influencers staying silent and not disclosing their political views means they have no empathy or interest in certain issues is a completely chronically online notion. This way in which social media dictates how we should behave is so invasive and potentially dangerous.  

Now, many people online are cancelling Brittany Broski all due to her silence. Does this really seem fair? Could her speaking out about the conflict really have any impact whatsoever? If people are so concerned with being educated on the issue, they should do their own research and look to reliable newspapers and websites rather than asking individual online comedians. Does anyone truly ever look at the atrocities occurring in Gaza and think to themselves, ‘I wonder what Brittany Broski thinks about this?’  

Writer: Niamh Westgarth 

Editor: Anna Duffell 

Hi, I'm a second year English Literature student at the University of Leeds! I'm passionate about film, literature and Taylor Swift.