INTERVIEW: Lopo Champalimaud, CEO of Treatwell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

It’s not every day that the CEO of the biggest online beauty booking system in the world comes to Leeds. But Lopo Champalimaud joined a group of beauty experts on March 22nd to celebrate Treatwell’s ever-growing success in Leeds. Lopo immediately made the Her Campus team feel at ease with his friendly, open manner which really emphasises the idea behind his app. Founded in the UK, Treatwell now operates in 10 European countries and 35 cities. Wherever you are in Europe, it’s a simple, yet personal way to book all your hair and beauty needs.

Lopo tells us he established Treatwell (formerly Wahanda) in 2008 after struggling to book a massage over the phone. He identified the time consuming process customers faced and saw the opportunity to create an online booking platform. Lopo is no stranger to online business.  He has always been a lifestyle entrepreneur, previously working for the non-travel section of lastminute.com.

Despite his prior experience in the lifestyle sector, Lopo is keen to stress Treatwell’s unique approach. He explains that the beauty sector is extremely personal and this is what he has set out to preserve.  Lopo’s vision is for clients to experience a sense of,  ‘self expression and create relationships with Treatwell’s consumers and partners.’  On the evening we met, this rapport was evident through Lopo’s relaxed interactions with RMUK Leeds owners, Roberto and Laura. Treatwell has over 500 employees, including former Grazia beauty editor, Liz Hambleton, now its editorial director. It is clear that Lopo lives and breathes the Treatwell concept. He is convincing when he talks of, ‘walking into work every day with a smile.’

Lopo says people are always asking about the name change from Wahanda to Treatwell. So what’s the answer? Although he founded Treatwell eight years ago, the company expanded beyond the UK 18 months ago. There were five different brands and Lopo explains that this caused confusion. He wanted user friendly and straightforward booking to be a selling point and the rebranding facilitated this. Clients now enjoy a truly global experience with the ability to book with Treatwell across Europe. Lopo gives the example of an Italian customer signing up to Treatwell while holidaying in Ireland.

So why Leeds? Lopo admits that he is particularly excited about business in Leeds which is currently the brand’s third biggest city. Business in Leeds has risen by 300 per cent over the past year.  Interestingly, hair has been the biggest business in Leeds, whereas waxing is the most popular in London. Massage and sports massage are also favourites in Leeds, possibly due to the number of sports students in the city.

Lopo also promotes the egalitarian nature of Treatwell. He explains that it offers a ‘platform for both local and national businesses’. In Leeds, for example, you can find independent and UK-wide salons for your nail appointment and make a personal choice. Another important aspect of Treatwell is its discovery opportunities which encourage clients to look beyond ‘deceptive appearances’. RMUK, where our interview took place, might look like a normal beauty salon from the outside, but inside there’s a beautiful spa and even a rooftop bar. Treatwell creates experiences for salons to showcase all their services and for customers to discover new places.

Lopo organised the event in Leeds to showcase the growth of Treatwell to its partners and clients. Treatwell has recently made a big investment in Leeds but Lopo can still see lots of room for growth. Many people still book their beauty appointments over the phone. But the younger generation increasingly organise their lives using the Internet. It is clear this is only the beginning of Treatwell’s journey. Lopo hopes to continue expanding the brand across Europe and even to the US (watch out US chapters!)

Lopo enthuses about Leeds and is particularly proud of the brand’s growth here. He refers to the, ‘young, dynamic feel to the city.’  He feels that the student population brings a ‘vibrant energy’ to the city and knows it is the perfect environment for Treatwell ‘s expansion. If what we saw on Tuesday was anything to go by, Treatwell is certainly an app which can enhance students’ lifestyles! We’d urge everyone to take a look.

Check out Treatwell to book all your hair and beauty appointments at  https://www.treatwell.co.uk/ 

Sources

All pictures courtesy of Treatwell

Interview conducted by Her Campus Leeds (Ella Duffy and Natalie Cherry) and transcribed and adapted by Esther Marshall