Internships – Internally Crying (Part II)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

So, I did it. If you read my last article on the trials and tribulations of securing an internship, you’ll be glad to hear that I actually completed one this summer!

I even successfully managed to pour a full glass of Merlot down my top in excitement when I found out I – average English student extraordinaire – had potentially made the first step on my own career ladder… so what happened next?

Here is my update on the advice and tips I gave in searching for extra-curricular work and experience: to factor in what the reality is of such opportunities. I aim to get into the nitty-gritty of a working day, into the little bugbears that can get glossed over. So when that ever-so-slightly precocious guy or gal in your seminar (there’s always one) brags about the invaluable lessons they learned in their respective field of interest, and how inspired they were by their superior’s stories of making it to the apex of their industry… because YAWN.

Without further ado, here’s some home truths about internships:

1) Mornings suck. When you enter the real world, you’ll be reminded of how different ‘student mornings’ are to ‘actual mornings’. As someone who’s not had a single 9am start for the duration of university, it was quite something getting up at 7 o’clock for an hour’s commute to Nottinghamshire. The lecturer’s indifference to my two weeks-unwashed hoody wasn’t going to matter in the office. I also didn’t have the myriad cafes across the road for a quick toastie and coffee to run to whenever I wanted or was peckish. I had to actually have a routine where I had breakfast and wore ironed, matching formal attire, like a normal, socially-adept human being. Now, some of you are probably laughing reading this, but trust me, it’s harder that you remember it being when you were in secondary school. I don’t like to admit it but uni does enclose you in a bubble – where words like ‘conversely’, ‘narrative’ and ‘problematic’ swirl around, finding their ways into half-hearted essays amongst the Sainsbury’s Basics biscuit crumbs on your lap, and the House Of Cards Netflix binge echoing around its membrane. It’s a hard bubble to pop.

2) You will get fat. Whilst you might get to sit in on the odd conference, go on a trip or shadow a colleague, you’ll more than likely find yourself spending the majority of your time sat at a desk; on a dry run of the company’s basics, perfecting the required work and following standard procedures. It can get dull, but the boss will know this because they have to do this too, though their tasks might be more important and varied. This is where cake comes in. And tea. And crisps. And, in our case, a gigantic jar of marshmallows that was bigger than my head. I think I gained nearly a stone in two months. Embrace it. Feed your soul. Sometimes, to pull a team together, all it takes is empty chat over some Mr. Kipling’s treats.

3) The only way out is through. Don’t procrastinate, don’t take short-cuts and don’t ignore big tasks like they don’t exist, because you will never get away with it. In a job, completing something to the best of your abilities is vital. The bare minimum allows a competitor to edge ahead, or loses you a sponsor, or can cause the failure of an important launch. You might spend half your day talking about the minutest of details to a project or task in your mind – but it’s important you do it. Once, the team spent a full day discussing the slogan to put in the labels of clothing products we were selling, but the more you learn about the intricacy to business and commerce, the more you realise how important that is. In the majority of university courses, you are encouraged to be selective about the curriculum when it comes to essays and exams, as there’s only so much you can learn in an allotted time. Companies don’t have allotted time. They have to take each day as it comes, so take each task as it comes and do it well.

4) Making contacts is the key. I cannot stress enough how useful this will be to you. My internship was ten weeks long, but I am now employed part-time by the same company whilst I finish uni; because I showed my talents wherever I could and my general interests in the field they specialise in. Being the new girl means you’re going to be meeting so many new people that might be of use to you one day, so sell yourself. Be social and make good impressions on anyone your boss introduces to you. If you’ve ever been unsure, this is the time to get a LinkedIn (how adult). Be positive about your work and show it to the world – the more people that see it, the better for your future.

Internships are not something to be taken lightly. The stereotype of being a glorified tea-lady doesn’t hold true – it could be big, big news for you and your career direction. Be eager, be excited and embrace every moment.

Image sources:

Stewie pic – http://static.squarespace.com/static/50bd74f8e4b00e09a217a924/t/52b000ee…

E-card – https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Mm5kLLY-FjI/UdkErLXlMYI/AAAAAAAAKGg/G…

Popular business man pic – http://ak2.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/1309723/preview/stock-footage-b…

www.twitter.com/mollyforsyth_