books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

International Women’s Day:  Our Top Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Nasty Women

Nasty Women is a book full of amazing essays, accounts and stories of what is means to be a woman in the 21st century and published by 404 INK, an independent publisher based in Glasgow, run by two incredible women.

Each account is a different reading experience, from gritty, to funny, to touching- you wont regret reading a single one.

What’s more is you don’t have to sit and read it all at once, but it’s a wonderful book to keep on the side and dip in and out of at any time.

Everyone needs to read this book, pass it between your friends, your parents and your siblings. I challenge anyone not to enjoy it!

The World’s Wife

Carol Ann Duffy takes famous or influential male figures and imagines the women behind them. Meet characters such as Medusa, The Devils Wife and Queen Kong. This collection is incredibly witty and accessible but in true Duffy style is so rich and intelligently thought out. If you’re only going to read one poem this year, make sure it’s from The World’s Wife.

Headscarves and Hymens: Why the Middle East Needs a Sexual Revolution

Egyptian-American Mona Eltahawy writes an incredible biographical intersectional feminist masterpiece in this book. The book is permeated by enraging and alarming first-hand accounts of Eltahawy’s life. Her call to action is global, and what resonated most about this book is that each woman should be concerned with achieving gender equality in their own country before imposing their own beliefs across the world.  We need global change.  

We Should All Be Feminists

Released in 2014, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie aims to define feminism in the 21st century. This book was written after her Ted Talk two years prior (which we’ve linked just here incase you’d rather have a listen).  At 64 pages, no one has an excuse not to give this a read.

Adichie looks for feminism to be embraced by everyone all and wants to dispel any negative connotations the word holds- so important.

The Colour Purple

This is our first fiction recommendation, and it’s a classic.

Written in the early 1980s by Alice Walker, The Colour Purple is a phenomenal novel writing about the life of African-American women in the US. The novel definitely broaches some difficult topics, but topics that need to be touched upon. You won’t be able to put it down. 

Happy reading everyone! Let us know what you think.

Kelan Mahon

.