This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

The Starbucks festive drinks are back, and the new John Lewis advert is here: it’s officially Christmas! It’s time to start shopping for presents, and the best way to find unique gifts is to visit and support small independent shops. Did you know that when you buy from a small business, an actual person does a little happy dance? Here is the guide to my favourite small, local and independent businesses.

Art

Lucy Scott

Born in Leeds, Lucy Scotts’ colourful illustrations are inspired by her passion for nature, sustainability and mindfulness. I bought an artwork from the equally wonderful Workshop in Headingley, an independent coffee shop and sewing cafe, but you can also find her work here.

(Image: ‘To Everything There Is A Season’ by Lucy Scott. @lucyscott259 on Twitter.)

Darwin & Gray

Darwin & Gray design minimal fabric banners, from festive limited editions to the classy location collection. From cheeky slogans like ‘get naked’ and ‘festive as f*ck,’ to motivational quotes, Darwin & Gray banners are the perfect gift.

Image: ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas’ by Darwin & Gray. @darwinandgray on Instragram.)

Christina Hayes Embroidery

Based in Leeds, Christina creates intricate botanical embroidery hoops and Christmas decorations. The ideal gift for your friends who love plants, but can’t keep them alive!

Plants

Short Press

A haven for plant lovers, Short Press is a beautiful shop full of plants, gifts and local art. Filled with a variety of unique and easy-care houseplants, this hidden gem is a must-visit to find a leafy gift. The staff are lovely, enthusiastic and happy to give helpful advice on how to keep your plants alive!

The Plant Point

Located in Leeds Corn Exchange, The Plant Point is another beautiful shop offering a range of indoor plants, succulents and cacti.

(The Plant Point in Leeds Corn Exchange.)

Candles

Tiger & Co

Tiger & Co create vegan soy wax candle tins, all hand-poured in the UK. The brand ensures all of its products are cruelty free, and offer a wide variety of scents. The candles smell amazing; my personal favourites are Pumpkin Spice and Kanelbullar.

The Great Yorkshire Shop

Also found in Leeds Corn Exchange, The Great Yorkshire Shop has a range of cute local gifts, including ‘Eau De Yorkshire’ scented candles.

(The Great Yorkshire Shop in Leeds Corn Exchange.)

Support local creatives and find a unique gift for your friends this Christmas!

I am a Bsc Psychology graduate and MA Advertising and Marketing student at University of Leeds.
Lover of all things food, books, music, politics and theatre, and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus at the University of Leeds. You can see more of my work at http://www.morganhrtley.wordpress.com and http://www.indiependent.co.uk/?s=Morgan+Hartley