Life > Experiences

I Went to A Nightclub for the First Time, and I Had FUN!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Before University (albeit 3 weeks ago) I lived a rather monotonous life. I woke up, went to school, went swimming and slept. Obviously homework had to be sandwiched in there somewhere, but I had very little time to explore the world as one may put it. That said, I didn’t mind it – the routine made my life predictable; I knew what would happen each day and little was left to chance.

So the first few times when my new (and absolutely amazing) flat-mates asked me if I wanted to go out (after I had to clarify that “out” meant “out” as in clubbing, not going out for food), I turned the offer down. I mean why would I want to go clubbing? It’s noisy, squishy, sweaty, and there’s alcohol. And alcohol meant drunk people. Was I scared of going? Definitely. It would be a new place, unlike anywhere I’d been before. I had no idea what to expect.

Then, one day, after messaging a friend from home, I decided to give it a shot. At least this way, I could confirm the fact that I did not like it and would never have to go again! At 6pm I started to get ready. I spent about 15 minutes lying on my bed googling “what do people wear to a club” along with various other questions. I settled on black jeans and a strappy top. I mean, it was nothing like what my flat-mates were wearing, but it was the closest I was going to get with what I had in my wardrobe. Yeah, it’ll do.

By the time we got to the club (my flat-mates spent a few hours getting suitably drunk at home first) it was coming up to midnight. And the queue was long – if you’re a Disney fan it would be comparable time to the queue for Splash Mountain in July. After showing our ID and tickets, we were allowed in.

(photo credit: Jonathan Kos-Read)

Wow. I wasn’t expecting this. The DJ was mid-way through a Taylor Swift track, and honestly I felt a little relieved. At least I knew this song. It was decided that we would be heading straight for the bar on the basis that the long wait had “sobered them up”. It was at this point I remembered the conversation I had with my friend earlier – might as well kill two birds with one stone she said; try going to a club and alcohol on the same night.

I asked for a Malibu and Coke.

As someone who had never consumed alcohol until that point, I was of the mindset that the drink would get me drunk. I was wrong. Sure, it made my mouth feel warm but it failed to have any overwhelming effect. I could still think rationally and walk… the reality was I had built up this perception based on falsehoods and my own ideas that was entirely wrong. Clinging on to my flat-mate Katy’s arm we made our way over to the dance-floor. We had a good time. We danced, and we sang (if you can call it that). It was like a concert where you can just have a great time and party. And we went home in the early hours of the next day.

(My Photo)

Upon reflection: yes, it was a crowded place. And, yes, I felt truly out of my comfort zone. And, yes, there are elements that I didn’t enjoy – the over-crowded atmosphere and the flashing floodlights (I just shut my eyes). But I learned so much from this experience. What I learned was that it’s okay to try new things, and feeling scared and nervous is a totally rational thing. But it’s also important to not let these feelings, nor any other person dictate your life.

Moral of the story: try new things and put yourself out there, but know your boundaries and what you’re happy with. It’s safe to say that all things considered, I’ll be going clubbing again!

Swimoholic, Dreamer, Ocean Lover. Gravity has a personal vendetta against me. I also absolutely LOVE Disney Movies, and Disney World and Disney Stores (you get the picture). Oh, and Moana is my absolute favourite movie ever!