woman taking pictures near handrail
woman taking pictures near handrail
Tamara Bellis/Unsplash

I Deleted Social Media From My Phone For A Week: Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Ever since Apple introduced its screen time monitoring feature, I realised that I spend quite a bit of time on social media. Also, I am aware that social media has negative effects such as causing depression and forming unrealistic expectations for its users. So, to combat the time I have been meaninglessly scrolling through social media apps on my phone, I deleted them. I deleted the apps Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat. I still kept Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp on my phone since I use those apps to communicate and also those apps do not fall under the meaningless scrolling category.

The Saturday night of the week before I would try my experiment, I deleted the four apps. On Sunday morning, I did not have the opportunity to waste time scrolling through the apps first thing after waking up in the morning. Instead, I went straight into completing my tasks for the day which involved studying and cleaning my room. Throughout the week, I did not scroll through social media during mealtimes. Instead, as I was eating with my friends, I was more aware of when my friends would quickly take out their phones to look at social media. Also, during the five minutes before my lectures would start, I did not have the chance to look at social media. Instead, I was more alert and readier for each lecture to begin.

I did have a few situations where my experiment could have possibly gone wrong. I went to the Meet and Speak event for international students on Monday night which is hosted by ESN (Erasmus and International Exchange Society) and CityLife. I met people there who wanted to connect with me on social media. Luckily, they were the ones who took out their phone for me to type my name, so I didn’t need to have the app on my phone. The same thing happened when I met up with a friend for coffee and she wanted to connect with me on social media. However, going forward, I shouldn’t rely on other people to have the app and let this be a hindrance from connecting with people.

Although I did delete the apps on my phone, I still allowed myself to log in to the apps on my computer, particularly Facebook since that is where I primarily keep up with meetings for clubs and societies I am involved with on campus. However, I realised that sometimes I’d get carried away and spend a little more time on the app than I had intended to. Still, it limited my usage to when I would intentionally log on to the computer for each app. Also, when using social media on my computer, I would log out after I was done with each session so I wouldn’t be able to easily return to the app while in the middle of completing schoolwork on my computer.

The week after, I slowly added the apps one by one. However, since I had enjoyed not having Facebook and Instagram on my phone, I ended up deleting them again. I do try to check Facebook at least once a day on my computer for information regarding the societies and clubs I am involved in. Currently, I only have Snapchat on my phone out of the four deleted apps I mentioned. I really like not having the apps on my phone because, not only do I save phone battery, I am also not aimlessly wasting time and paying more attention to my surroundings.

I encourage you to delete social media apps from your phone, even if it’s just for one day or a few hours. I’m sure you’ll notice a difference.

Niharika graduated from the University of Florida with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics. She wrote for Her Campus UFL during her time at UF. She also wrote for Her Campus Leeds when she spent her junior year abroad at the University of Leeds in Leeds, England. She tried drinking tea when in England but is still a coffee person at heart. As a Colorado native, Niharika loves hiking, skiing, and mountain biking. In her spare time, she likes to explore her creativity through photography and drawing. 
Senior Editor for Leeds Her Campus 2018-19