His Royal Highness Prince Harry of Wales: A Tribute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

A very important development in the debate between Socialist and Royalist factions took place last week. Amidst arguing over the Commonwealth and whether they are benefit tourists or employees of the public sector, the family’s most eligible bachelor and freest spirit, Prince Harry, endured a shock split with his girlfriend, Cressida Bonas. OMG. Sometimes there are more important things than the economy, and I guess Cressida was too crass a name to welcome into the Windsors. How much damage could THAT have done? Phew.

The mass hysteria for the esteemed gentlemen was more akin to that which another certain Harry would get. At one point, an online gossip website had a live stream of the break up as more developments ensued. A. Live. Stream. We complain of scripted reality shows paying people for the most mundane aspects of their life, but the Royal family were clearly ahead of the curve. Third in line to the throne – the infant Prince George – became a national headline for being given a toy. This is almost no different to Spencer Matthews turning on some town’s Christmas lights, but instead of improving relations between Commonwealth nations, he’s assimilating the poshos with small town folk and hoping a couple more will watch him cheat on his girlfriend on national television. The royals are a celebrity phenomenon but with class.

For this celebrity status and complete revival in popularity which came off the back of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s nuptials three years ago, I don’t think Harry gets enough credit. It would be too harsh to say he’s the dark horse of the family, but he certainly marches more to the beat of his own drum. Never to be king, and therefore never in need to hold up the image and preserve the power of his family, Harry has embraced his lineage limbo. Utterly charismatic and something of a party animal, Harry hits the headlines in ways that help the royals seem more approachable and humble. He isn’t too above the commoners, and don’t some girls latch on to that. Harry’s heartthrob status has been fully realised this past week, so I’d like to hold a tribute to my favourite ginger ever.

Starting more respectably, Harry went straight to the front line in Afghanistan, becoming the first royal to see action in 30 years. Now officially a captain, Harry is fully participatory in military life.He also made a documentary about AIDS victims in Africa when he was just 19.

This is the same person who danced like this in the Caribbean…

And was caught like this in Vegas…

And tricked Usain Bolt to beat him in a race…

And was the best third wheel ever at the 2012 Olympics…

And grew this magnificent scruff when trekking the South Pole with people like ALEXANDER SKARSGARD and drank champagne out of a prosthetic limb when he finished…

And then there’s just THIS. We love you Harry!

Image one. www.people.com

Image two. www.telegraph.co.uk

Image three. www.tmz.com

Image four: www.telegraph.co.uk

Image five: www.eonline.com

Image six: www.eonline.com

Image seven: www.eonline.com  

www.twitter.com/mollyforsyth_