Her Campus x LRFS: MEET: the designer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

We caught up with Eden Keshia, one of this year’s designers…

Hey Eden, thanks so much for chatting to us! Tell us a bit about yourself?

I graduated in November 2017 from Leeds Arts University, where I studied fashion design. I’ve worked as a freelance artist & designer for my own label for over a year now, and I’ve been building that up for the past few months.

What sparked your interest in fashion?

I think my interest in other artistic disciplines led me into fashion. My parents encouraged me to draw, paint, etc. from an early age, and I believe that’s played a huge part in leading me into a career that’s art-related. I’ve always liked anything creative – especially painting – which now goes hand in hand with my work.

Photography: Harrison France

Photography: Michael Savage

How did you get involved with LRFS?

Jennifer Lea got in touch with me about the show. I thought it sounded really interesting! She told me about the theme, and which pieces she thought would work well. I just organised for all of my graduate collection to be available, and I’m so glad it was a part of the event this year!

Photography: Harrison France

Was this your first Fashion Show?

No, but it was certainly different from other shows I have attended. I think the different elements were really well thought out, and I loved the atmosphere – especially for the ‘revival’ series.

Photography: Edward Rivera

What did you think of this year’s show?

I loved it! The lighting, music, styling – it all worked really well, and the structure of the show along with the added dance elements made it really engaging. The models were amazing – I think you could tell they were enjoying themselves. It was a lot of fun!

Photography: Lucy R. Jones

How would you describe the clothes you design and their style?

I think extravagant would best describe my design aesthetic. I have a strong dance background, which has definitely influenced my work! I use a lot of metallic fabrics along with sequins, foils and beadwork. I am very keen on embellishment, embroidery and hand-painted designs – anything which creates texture and movement. The collection in the show was my graduate collection, which was inspired by a child’s perception of ‘art’. The fabrics and embellishment were all designed to reflect this, and the collection features a lot of child paintings in the form of prints and embroidery.

Photography: Michael Savage

Photography: Lucy R. Jones

Have you got any more exciting projects coming up soon?

I’m currently in the early design stage for a new collection, and expanding my brand into new avenues. The design stage is my favourite part of making a new collection, so that’s really fun. I’ve got a few collaborations lined up which I’m really excited about, so I can’t wait to get started with those! This year should be a very exciting year for me.

Check out Eden’s instagram for more! @eden_keshia 

.