Headingly LitFest March 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Headingly LitFest March 2018

This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Headingly Literature festival. With almost 30 events on the bill there is something for everyone. A range of writers are hosting sessions on many different topics, so whether you are interested in feminism, Shakespeare, or crime fiction, you will find something to interest you. Headingly LitFest even offers the opportunity for everyone to come along and pitch their idea for a new novel, poem, or short story collection in their “Pitch and Pen” event, where the winning pitcher(s) will be asked to submit a sample of their work with the possibility of a publishing contract! This three-week exploration of local literary culture is an event not to be missed!

The Headingly LitFest began in 2008 and is hosted by the Headingly Network. Their aim is to “draw on the strengths of our local community to entertain, enlighten and delight us all”. The festival is all about the celebration of literature and the spoken word whether this is drawing on Headingly’s literary history or encouraging and inspiring budding writers or performers in the local area. The 10th LitFest, entitled “Endings”, is one not to be missed, as it is the final three-week celebration of local literature, although “Between the Lines” events will continue throughout the year.

Speakers at the LitFest will be covering a range of topics. One that is most prominent for today’s youth culture is being held on Wednesday 28th March and it examines the War on Gender. In partnership with Leeds Combined Arts this event will examine transgender rights. It will be held by Claire Rae Randall, who transitioned over thirty years ago and is now releasing a book to examine the progress of trans and its increasing social influence from her own personal perspective. Some other notable events of interest include a talk on feminism and women’s rights named Fifty Years On: Have things got better for women? (8th March); Recovery songs: a poetry reading concerning how and why addiction occurs (6th March), a film screening of Neruda which explores the most famous communist in Chile (13th March), and of course their amazing Cabaret Thirty (9th March) and Pitch and Pen (24th March) events which allow anyone to showcase and perform their own literary creations, plus many many more. The majority of these events are free! So don’t miss out on this local celebration of culture and literary success!!

With contributions covering communism, crime writing, feminism, poetry, Shakespeare, Emily Bronte, WWI, psychology, addiction (the list is endless!) you are certain to find something you are interested in! So, head on over to the website and check out their program to see which events speak to you! See you there!! 

Chloe Derbyshire

Senior Editor for Leeds Her Campus 2018-19
.