HC Leeds’ Guide to Keeping Warm on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Oh the weather outside is frightful, and inside, it’s not much better. This week has even been the first time there has actually been frost on the windows. The summer is well and truly over; the nights are now drawing in and the temperature’s falling faster than a drunk fresher in heels. Unfortunately, so is my bank balance.

The student loan has disappeared into Philip Green’s bank account and unfortunately Topshop receipts don’t count as legal tender, thanks a lot British Gas. So until January, the heating is remaining resolutely off and my flat mate and I have been thinking up ways to stay warm in a flat where a 3 inch nail went straight through one of the walls.

Thankfully Leeds City Council has been thinking about those of us with slightly reduced incomes during the cold months. Working with Yorkshire Energy Services they plan to insulate up to 15,000 homes this year with their “Wrap Up Leeds” scheme, and what’s even better is that they’re doing this completely for free. That means keeping warmer whilst saving money, and even without spending any money on it in the first place. Landlords can’t apply, but anyone who rents can and it can save you up to £300 on your winter heating bills. That’s about 3 Topshop winter coats! The website for the scheme is http://www.wrapupleeds.co.uk/ which will give you more information and let you know if your house is eligible. To get your free insulation you do need to get permission from your landlord or letting agent, and the deadline for applying to the Council is October the 26th – so get writing!

Until then you need to stay toasty, so to start with swaddle yourself in blankets. Keeping your body heat in and the frigid air out is the most important thing and blankets are an affordable way to be comfortable and warm. Plus, when you’re not all cuddled up they’re a stylish and cheap way to decorate, not to mention cover the stains and cigarette burns you’ve left on the house sofas. Blankets can be found in charity shops and thrift stores for next to nothing (although wash before using). If you prefer to buy new then there are plenty of shops that sell them at student budget prices. Primark’s home section has a lot of thick, fleecy blankets in stylish colours, which are always sold at great Primark prices. Plenty of supermarkets have their own home ranges too. Asda Direct in particular does blankets ranging from cheap (only £3) to fairly reasonably priced (£18). And of course there’s the classic Argos, which has a great variety of shades that can be colour matched with other products in their ranges.

Another way to keep you toasty through winter is simply cuddling up with a loved one. Whether it’s your significant other or just an equally chilly friend, get closer and share that body heat. This also has the added bonus of being completely free for those whose bank has stopped returning their calls.
Of course if you’ve been smart and budgeted your loan (or at least got yourself a decent job and a bit of cash to spend) but still don’t want to see it disappear into your radiators, then a good investment is a pair of nice thick curtains and a cuddly winter duvet. Ikea is the best place to go for these sorts of purchases, particularly if your flat only came with a few fairly shoddy blinds and you don’t even have a curtain rod. They do cheap and cheerful and their staff are well-informed and can give you great advice on exactly what you need. A good winter duvet will last you years and curtains can last forever and provide excellent insulation if you do decide to turn the heating on.

Another problem, whether you’re bundled up in your thick new duvet or still shivering under a summer throw, is the unpleasant feeling of clambering into cold sheets. On one hand, you could buy a good hot water bottle; although waking up soaked in icy cold water when the washer goes is possibly the worst start to a day you can have, plus snuggling up to the smell and texture of rubber is a bit too reminiscent of cuddling up with a car tire. A great alternative is a wheat bag. The smell of them is comforting, relaxing and easily sends you off to sleep, even in sheets that haven’t been changed since you moved in. Plus, they can be used to relax aching muscles after a long day walking around Leeds. Finally, they come in a massive range of shapes, sizes and colours. My personal favourite are the cute animal-shaped ones as they’re so satisfying to cuddle. Those in long-distance relationships, take note!

Finally, a couple of true student cheats: your laptop and your hairdryer. When you’re sat in your living room trying to do work as the numbness spreads from your toes up your legs, your laptop becomes the closest thing you can get to an electric blanket. Rest it on your lap for 10 minutes and the heat will at least prevent you from losing your legs to frostbite. The hairdryer is the student’s ultimate quick fix. When it’s early in the morning and you need something to convince you to get out of the house and on the way to that 9am lecture; or when it’s colder in your room than it is outside, the heat from your hairdryer will give you that boost of warmth you need to get yourself out of your blankets and onto the bus. Sorted.