HC Leeds’ Guide to Foods That Make You Beautiful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

From working out at the gym, to trying on endless outfits and trialling countless beauty products, tips and tricks, us girls will go to great lengths to look our best. But as coursework deadlines are approaching and student loans are running out, we can’t always spare the time and money to spend on ourselves. So I’m sure you’ll all be glad to hear that simply adding certain foods to your diet can do wonders for your skin, hair and nails, as well as making you feel great on the inside too.

Greek Yoghurt

Greek yoghurt has multiple health benefits, but as well as being a great source of protein and assisting with weight loss, the amino acids in Greek yoghurt can get rid of dark circles under your eyes. Perfect for before or after a night out.

Celery

As well as being useful for weight loss, celery can give you good breath. This is because celery requires a lot of chewing, which in turn produces a lot of saliva, which then kills the bacteria in your mouth that causes bad breath. What’s more, celery has a calming effect on your nervous system, and lower stress levels leads to much better skin.

Oysters

It’s a well known fact that oysters are an aphrodisiac, but not many people know that oysters are also great for your skin. Oysters contain a lot of zinc which controls excess oil production, leaving you less prone to getting spots.

Water

When you’re dehydrated, your body retains water which makes you bloated. Drink plenty of water and your metabolism will function at its absolute best, making you look your absolute slimmest. Water is also great for clear, hydrated skin, especially if you add a slice of lemon to it.

Cranberries

Cranberries are an amazing fruit that can aid weight loss, strengthen your immune system and even help you to fight cancer and heart disease. They can also keep you looking young as the antioxidants they contain help you to get rid of free radicals which contribute to ageing. Furthermore, they can keep your teeth sparkling by preventing bacteria from sticking to them.

Salmon

Salmon is packed with omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B12 and iron which helps you to keep a healthy scalp; no one wants flakes of dry skin in their hair.

Red Peppers

Red peppers have ridiculously high antioxidant levels, meaning that they can do wonders for your skin. Not to mention, it’s really easy to get more of them into your diet – add them to salads, pasta bakes or stir fries, or just dip them in hummus.

Prunes

Prunes are great for your nails – they can stop them from becoming brittle and even reverse any damage that has already been done.

Spinach

Not only is spinach really good for you, it helps your hair to remain strong and healthy. Add spinach to your salads or have it alongside pasta bakes and other meals.

Blueberries

Blueberries have a variety of health benefits. As well as being great for detoxing, the vitamin C and potassium in blueberries are great for keeping skin looking young and healthy and reducing puffiness.

Avocado

Avocado is great for weight loss; however, it’s also good for healthy skin and hair. Furthermore, it contains B-complex vitamins which soothe blotchy or irritated skin.

Eggs

Eggs are packed full of protein and therefore they will strengthen your hair, particularly if it’s brittle or dry.

Mushrooms

Due to their high zinc content, mushrooms are fantastic for strengthening hair and nails. They’re also low in salt and fat making them an all-round great addition to your meals.

Pumpkin Seeds

The vitamin-E contained in pumpkin seeds slows down skin ageing. They’re also full of omega-3 fatty acids that keep your hair strong and your skin smooth, as well as reducing acne and other skin problems.

Kidney Beans

Due to the protein, iron zinc and biotin they contain, kidney beans can help your hair to grow longer and stronger. They will also help to stop your hair from drying out as a result of the awful winter weather.

As well as adding some of these foods to your diet, avoiding certain foods can also improve your appearance. For example, too much salt and sugar in your diet is bad for your skin. Caffeine can be good for your skin in small amounts but too much will leave you dehydrated and have a negative effect on your skin.

Avoiding these foods can be difficult but by reducing them, as well as adding some of the foods listed above into your diet, you’ll be looking like the best version of yourself in no time.

All original images

Kerry Williams