body images 2019 02 27 anastasia dulgier 759169 unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 02 27 anastasia dulgier 759169 unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Great Conjunction: Preparing Us for a 2021 to Remember

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

From Trump losing the election to- dare I say it- Coronavirus, 2020 seems to have had it all…and a bit more on the side. But, before we leave for 2021, the astrological world has a little something more to add. On December 21st 2020, Saturn and Jupiter will appear to align in the sky, resembling one bright star. The two planets haven’t been this close since 1623 and they will be visible to the naked eye. 

This major event is known as ‘The Great Conjunction’ and it’s not the first time it has happened this century. The last time it occurred was in May 2000, but it was barely visible in the UK as it happened close to the Sun. This means that this is the first time since the 1980’s (when there was a triple conjunction) that we have been able to see this rare spectacle.  

I first heard about ‘The Great Conjunction’ in 2019, during a theatre production of ‘Blue Stockings’ I was in. So, you can imagine my excitement when I realised there would be one in 2020. In ‘Blue Stockings’ the Great Conjunction is discussed in relation to the theory that it is what happened when the Wise Men (also known as Magi) saw the Star of Bethlehem. This immediately hooked me and so, I started looking into this year’s Great Conjunction and its meanings, too. 

2020’s ‘Great Conjunction’ is rather special, and for a number of reasons. The first reason is that this conjunction spells the end of the road for a series of conjunctions occurring in earth signs (Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn) and moves us into the new ‘Age of Aquarius’. This new age spells out that the future looks promising. Aquarius is the sign of humanity so, there will be a continued focus on humanitarian issues, much like there has been throughout 2020. 

The Age of Aquarius will also bring with it a new wave of interesting ideas and an intellectual vibe as we move into 2021. New technological and medicinal advancements may be on the horizon, too which is clearly a positive after the year we’ve had. 

Another reason this is so important is that the two planets meet at 0°29” in Aquarius. If we look at the major arcana of the tarot deck, we see that 0 represents The Fool. Pulling this card encourages us to have an open and willing attitude, so seeing the conjunction at 0° symbolises a need for us to be open and willing to whatever lies ahead.  

So, what exactly does this mean for 2021? What should we do to help usher in ‘The Age of Aquarius’?  

Well, first of all, remember to be open-minded as we look forward to 2021, especially on the 21st December. Make sure you are being positive and manifesting a prosperous new Age.  

Secondly, think outside of the box, Aquarius encourages free and unique thinking so, try to think unconventionally when it comes to problem solving. You never know where a little bit of creativity will get you! 

It’s also important to remember that there will be a renewed focus on collectivity and collaboration. Put time into friendships and relationships and watch them blossom as we move forwards. The Age of Aquarius requires us to move away from the materialistic life and towards a more socially active one.  

Some star signs will be more affected by this conjunction than others, and this is the same with every astrological event. According to Bustle’s resident astrologer, Nina Kahn, any Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and (obviously!) Aquarius will be particularly susceptible to the energy of the conjunction. On the other hand, to all the Geminis, Cancers and Pisces’, you will be the least affected by the conjunction. 

For more information on this auspicious event, I would definitely recommend just doing a quick Google. From there you can find information about past, present and future Great Conjunctions as well as any other planetary goings on!  

Words By: Alice Mason

Edited By: Dasha Pitts-Yushchenko 

Languages student and lover of all things pink - I am a huge mental wellbeing advocate so, expect a lot of articles about that (with the odd Drag Race one thrown in there)!
English Literature graduate, Her Campus Leeds Editor in Chief 2020-2021 :)