This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Gossip Girl, a TV show best known for its insane scandals and messy secrets, has consistently entertained viewers with unexpected plot lines and sometimes unneeded ones (Milo the baby…?). The show created Iconic characters such as Serena Van Der Woodsen, Blair Waldorf, Jenny Humphrey and Georgina Sparks (my personal favourite), who collectively rule the Upper East Side like tyrants throughout the show. Yet, set in New York, it has also managed to perfectly capture a nostalgic image of autumn (or should I say ‘fall’), with scenes set with falling brown leaves, a crisp autumn air and scarves worn by every character the costume designers could get their hands on. For anyone looking for an easy TV show to binge watch this autumn, Gossip Girl is the right one for you.

The autumnal vibes are quite clear in the opening shot of season one, episode nine. We see a peaceful view of the descending brown leaves falling onto the park, however this is creating a false sense of security, as episode nine is the first-born child of the iconic Thanksgiving episodes. Immediately in the next scene we see ‘It girl’ Serena stumbling through the streets of New York whilst ‘Promiscuous’ by Nelly Furtado blasts in the background – Thanksgiving episodes never disappoint. Obviously the most popular and iconic Thanksgiving episode has to be season three, episode eleven – I even hear ‘Whatcha Say’ by Jason Derulo every time I leave a dinner table. Despite being packed full of drama, the episode does deliver aesthetics of autumn with a scene of Lily Van Der Woodsen strolling along wearing a scarf that sits around her coat collar rather than her neck. Perhaps as a fall fashion statement? I’ll have to try it sometime.  

However, when looking for real advice on your autumnal wardrobe there is only one character to seek out: Blair Waldorf. Always pictured in plaid and never without a blazer, ‘B’ dominates autumn fashion like her life depends on it. Even with her most questionable choices, such as her red tights and striped blazer combo, you cannot deny that Blair Waldorf can pull off any outfit with her confidence alone. A personal favourite of mine has got to be B’s ice-skating outfit; the tartan poncho and miniskirt, paired with a beret style hat – Blair never has a day off.

Gossip Girl is my favourite TV show to watch in the autumnal months (sorry to any Gilmore Girls fans) because it never fails to provide entertainment when you’re sick of being outside in the cold. Throughout an episode there’ll be calming montages of copper-coloured leaves and New Yorkers in coffee shops, followed by a scene of Serena and Blair verbally abusing each other over a plot line that is forgotten in two episode’s time– you never know what to expect! So, whether you’ve never seen Gossip Girl, or you’re on your 7th re-watch, I recommend giving it a go during these autumn months.

XOXO, Gossip Girl.

Edited by: Molly Stevens

I'm a huge Taylor Swift fan and Gossip Girl enjoyer.