Gig Review: Lewis Watson at Brudenell Social Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Gig review: Lewis Watson.

Oxfordshire born Lewis Watson is an acoustic artist who recently visited the iconic Brudenell Social Club for an intimate gig.

Watson himself is best known for his thoughtful lyrics and, for me personally, the best rainy day songs. With his oldest EP from 2012, ‘It’s got four sad songs on it BTW,’ subscribing to the conventions of the singer songwriter genre, it’s nice to see that same soulfulness survive in his newest album ‘Midnight’, even if the production value is higher.

The relaxed feel of the venue itself makes Brudenell Social Club one of my favourite places to see performances and it complimented Watson’s authentic sound incredibly well. While people were milling around enjoying a drink you could see that he had pulled in crowds from an array of backgrounds from students to people who had just got off work; which emphasises the relatability of his sound.

He was supported by Old Sea Brigade, an American folk singer who did a great job of setting the scene for the main set.  He had a similar acoustic sound to Watson but with an earthier folk undertone; aided by that Tennessee accent that made everyone just melt.

When Lewis himself graced the stage I’m glad to say he lived up to the hype that surrounds him. The enticing-ness of his voice (that has soothed a many broken hearts) derives from his own ability to appear completely humble and almost friend-like no matter his success. He played a mix of old and new material ranging from old favourites such as ‘Bones’ to newer hits such as ‘Deep the water’ which were all met with a round of applause.  Alongside this, he also incorporated an even more stripped down version of his songs in a small acoustic set; his band disappeared which created this vibrant atmosphere among everyone who was listening. Again, the intimacy of the gig combined with the respect his fans have for him allowed for the most vulnerable elements of his songs to be heard which was a truly remarkable experience. Being a part of a crowd that can just listen as well as participate is a rare luxury and one that Watson himself applauded. There is a sense of unity when you sing songs with strangers which is a part of the appeal of live music and was beautifully exacerbated by Watson’s ability to command his audience.

So, if you get a chance to see him live I would whole-heartedly recommend it and don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

Hanna Munir

Photo is album cover; Lewis Watson ‘Midnight’.