Fran & Chan: Your Love Life Sorted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Hey! We hope you’ve all had a great Easter break that wasn’t filled with too much work. It’s not too much longer until summer now; we just need to work hard for a few more weeks and then hopefully we’ll all breeze through our exams. To help you concentrate on revising, we’ve tried to help take other problems off your mind and given you our best advice. Remember to keep emailing in all your questions and we’ll keep them completely anonymous as always! 

I’m at uni whilst my boyfriend lives at home in our hometown. I’m so happy with him, but I find the long-distance thing hard. We’re lucky enough to see each other often, but when we’re not with each other he loves to text. I hate texting and find it so impersonal and I’m really not good at texting back. I prefer phone calls or skype but he’s recently said he doesn’t have the time, which has upset me. Now I’m struggling to find the enthusiasm to text back all the time when he’s not willing to compromise.

Most people would agree that they also find texting impersonal and prefer phoning. Have you explained to your boyfriend why you would prefer to phone him? Make it clear that you need more personal communication when you’re away from each other. More importantly, since you now both know how each other feels, this needs to be about compromising. Send the odd text throughout the day whilst your both busy, but also try to arrange a set time when you are both free to have a phone call or a skype session too. If he cares, then he should definitely be able to find a spare half an hour in which to ring you.

In the week before breaking up for Easter, on a drunken night out, I ended up sleeping with someone off my course, who I would consider to be a good friend. We’ve not spoken since that night, not even one text over Easter, and I’m now dreading coming back to uni. I know that we were both drunk and neither of us want anything more, but I’m worried things will be awkward now.

You say you haven’t spoken since that night, which is probably creating the awkward atmosphere you’re feeling. Be brave and make the first move by speaking to them first in order to clear the air. If you both don’t want anything more then it shouldn’t be a problem; you’re probably both just embarrassed over your drunken antics. Once you’re both back at uni, we’re sure things will soon get back to normal. Just make sure to learn from this mistake and don’t risk ruining your friendship due to drunken behaviour!

My boyfriend and I have been together for two years and we are really happy together. However, I am going on a year abroad and leave at the end of August. We are at different universities so we’re used to the long-distance, but I worry that this will be a step too far. Should we even try at all?

If you make each other happy like you say, then we can’t think of a reason why you shouldn’t try! Yes long-distance is hard, but at least you’ve already had experience in dealing with this at a smaller scale at uni. For now, it is good to talk about it so you both know how each other feels, but try not to worry about it too much and enjoy all the time that you have left together. If you enter this experience with a positive attitude, then we’re sure you’ll get a positive outcome!

… We have to be fearless, we have to take chances, we can’t live life just being afraid of what comes next; that’s not what living is about…

Image sources:

Our own

inspirationaldaily.wordpress.com