This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Whilst we’re all familiar with the popular and well-loved Netflix shows, it’s always a great idea to branch out and see what else interests you. Here is a list of five hidden gems that are definitely worth a watch! 

1. Fighting with My Family (2019)

This film was the epitome of ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’; I highly recommend it.

It’s a biopic sports comedy-drama about a family of wrestlers from Norwich, whose youngest children get the opportunity to try out for the WWE. Their daughter Paige (Florence Pugh) is successful and goes off to America, while their son Zak (Jack Lowden) isn’t. The film shows the family’s journey to adjusting to their new lifestyles and how they deal with the challenges that they’re faced with. To top it off, it’s written by British comedian Stephan Merchant and also stars wrestling legend Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson.

2. Ragnarök (2020)

This Norwegian fantasy drama does an excellent job of bringing Norse mythology into the modern day. It follows Magne, a dyslexic boy, who must navigate high school as well as the extraordinary powers that he possesses. Unbeknownst to him, he is the God of thunder. Only he has the power to stop the Jutuls – a powerful family who are secretly frost giants – from destroying the earth.

This series is unlike any other portrayal of Thor, as it has a darker tone to it. Similar to the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, he’s seen as an outcast rather than the great saviour that he is, and the large threat of otherworldly beings is masked by mundane issues.

3. Blood and Water (2020)

This South African drama, centred around a schoolgirl and her long-lost sister, is based on a true story. After meeting at a party and noticing their resemblance, Puleng Khumalo is convinced that private school girl Fikile Bhele is her older sister who was kidnapped at birth by human traffickers. She sets out to prove that she is said sister throughout the show.The show also touches on issues such as power, wealth, corruption, loss and injustice as well as your everyday school problems like friendship, betrayal, jealousy and love.

4. Funny Girl (1968)

If you enjoy musicals like me but have never gotten around to actually watching the classic that is Funny Girl, you can now.

I was aware of the songs from Funny Girl (fellow Gleek over here). However, I was not aware of the story behind the songs and how talented Barbra Streisand is. She plays the charming comedic woman, Fannie Brice, who proves everyone wrong by becoming a famous Broadway actress, despite her heritage and unconventional beauty. As well as finding fame, she finds love which is threatened when she reaches the height of her success.

5. Hollywood (2020)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Last but not least: Hollywood, brought to you by Ryan Murphy who is the writer of hits such as Glee and American Horror Story.

This drama follows a group of diverse individuals who all share the same dreams of working in showbiz and being on the big screen. They come together to try and make the first movie with a young black actress as the lead (Laura Harrier). It includes actors such as Darren Criss, Jim Parsons, Holland Taylor and Broadway star Patti LuPone, as well as highlighting issues such as racism, homophobia, sexism, class and power.

Words By: Tamikka Reid

Edited By: Hannah Martin 

I'm a 20-year-old undergraduate, currently studying journalism at the University of Leeds. I'm a film lover, concert goer and dancer. In terms of writing, I love arts and culture as well as lifestyle. If you'd like to see more of my work check out my blog https://allaboutthatfeature.wordpress.com/