Fitness Blog: Nike Training App Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

There are an immense amount of fitness Apps you can download these days, all of which promise to be the perfect accompaniment to achieving your personal fitness goals.  Having tried dozens of them myself, and continuously going back to the Nike + Training Club App, I can vouch that the Nike App is by far the most effective and convenient.  With this app, there’s no need to waste time planning your workouts, or wondering what you should do next whilst you’re at the gym.  The app contains such diverse and fast-flowing moves that it’s impossible to get bored, literally.  I have been using the app for about two years now, yet I’m somehow still not bored of the workouts.  I don’t know if it’s just because I’m a fitness freak, but I find the workouts so addictive. Add to that the fact that the app contains HUNDREDS of workouts AND it’s free – you’ve basically got your own pocket-sized personal trainer.  They also offer ‘Nike Training Club’ classes at the Edge, which I’ve been to before and really recommend.

The workouts are all about using light weights as well as your own body weight, and targeting every muscle of your body in the process.  The general idea is to spend one minute on each move, and after about every five moves, you get a 30 second break, so you’re constantly moving.  Each move uses multiple muscles, so you’ll also get your heart rate up, and tone your body more effectively and efficiently in the minimum amount of time.  The app also has a timer, plus pictures and a video of every move, making it incredibly easy to follow.  As well as these total body-sculpting workouts, the app also has cardio workouts and 15 minute workouts which target specific muscles, such as the back or shoulders.  Plus, they’re always adding new ‘celebrity special’ workouts, so you can exercise alongside Maria Sharapova or Serena Williams.

I usually find I’m drenched in sweat after I’ve done either one of their 30 or 45 minute workouts.  They’re also so effective for slimming down.  I didn’t use the app over the whole summer, and switched to doing heavier weights with my boyfriend.  Since coming back to Uni this year, I’ve used the app about four-five times a week, and have now lost 4% body fat.  My mum also started using the app a few months ago, and has lost 7% body fat since!  That goes to show that the app is very effective at fat-burning, due to the style of the workouts – and probably also due to their diversity – which results in you never getting bored, instead of getting demotivated with a style of working out which just isn’t interesting enough.  You can also add your friends on the app and keep up with each other’s progress, which adds a competitive aspect to it, making it even more motivating.  Plus, the app offers ‘rewards’ every time you have reached a certain amount of minutes, giving extra incentive.  What more could you want?

I have picked out my favourite moves from the app to give you an idea of the kind of workout it offers.  You should do each move continuously one after the other, doing each for one minute.  Have a 30 second rest after every four moves, and then repeat the circuit again until you have completed it three times. Next to each move I have included which primary muscles you are working; it makes your workout seem really productive and time-efficient when you know how many muscles you’re toning at once.

Squat with shoulder press (butt and shoulders)

Hold your dumbbells just below your chin, and squat down towards the ground, keeping your heels firmly in place and your chest up.  Then stand up again, and as you do start moving your arms up, so that when you get to the top you press the weights above your shoulders into the shoulder press.

Lying chest press (chest, abs)

This has got to be my favourite move from the app.  Begin lying on your back, with your arms straight up towards the ceiling holding your dumbbells, and your knees towards your abs.  Then, whilst moving your arms towards the ground, move your legs down so that they are about an inch off the ground, making sure to engage your core.  Then move your legs and arms back up again and repeat.  

Cross Back Lunge (butt, thighs and core)

Holding a medicine ball in your hands, cross one leg back in a diagonal lunge, and then directly cross back onto the other side.  This move also engages your abs due to the twisting movement, and having to hold the ball.

Modified side plank leg lift (inner thighs, butt, biceps and abs)

Leaning with your forearm on the ground and the side of one knee also on the ground, raise your top leg into the air.  Switch to the other side after 30 seconds.  Some serious multitasking!

Two feet plank side hops (core and arms)

This move is also great for cardio.  Jump both feet out to one side of your hands, and then to the other, then back again.  Repeat the hops as quickly as possible!

Jump wood chops (core, arms and legs)

This is another move that doubles up as cardio.  I don’t know what it is but there’s something weirdly satisfying about this move.  Keeping your arms straight and holding the dumbbell, lower the arms and jump feet apart to squat down, driving weight down through your heels.   Then jump up again, raising the dumbbell above your head.

Stability ball knee tucks (core)

Lay with your stability ball under your waist.  Walk your hands out and tuck your knees until the ball is under your shins, then roll the ball out again.  (The best part of this move is rolling onto the ball at the beginning – too fun).

Burpee with two feet lateral hops over step (core, arms and legs)

This is another cardio-based move.  Stand on one side of the step, and complete one burpee, making sure to jump as high as you can.  Then do a ‘bunny hop’ over the step, and do another burpee, before jumping back over the step.  Try to keep a continuous pace and get a good flow going – even when it gets difficult – as you will just find it harder if you keep stopping and starting.

I hope you enjoy the workout.  Let me know in the comments section how you get on!

I am a second year English Literature student at the University of Leeds.  Through Her Campus I bring to you a selection of informative blog posts about fitness routines and tips and tricks to use both at the gym or at home.  I am incredibly passionate about fitness and a healthy lifestyle in general, which you may find out more about through my personal blog - www.theblondberry.com.  The blog offers readers a further insight into my healthy lifestyle, including nutritional information, recipes I love, and reviews of both health food restaurants and fitness classes around the country. I hope you enjoy my posts and find them informative, interesting and inspiring!