This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

MONDAY

Goodbye to: Gran and her partner (Mum’s side)

Activity: afternoon tea.

Emotion rating: 3/5 stars (increased due to having to miss out on my gran’s legendary pasta bakes)

Afternoon tea has become a tradition when celebrating any female birthdays in my family, so I was in my element gorging on the delectable treats of sandwiches and scones whilst washing it all down (rather easily) with prosecco.

We reminisced over humorous times before, including a previous afternoon tea trip, resulting in one too many drinks for my gran and a subsequent wrong tube out of London.

Finally, the time came to say goodbye, and being from Lancashire, my gran reluctantly told me to enjoy living in Yorkshire and surprisingly even promised to visit.

TUESDAY

Goodbye to: Uncle and cousins

Activity: BBQ at home

Emotion rating: 3/5 stars

A gorgeous hot day meant a BBQ could not be bypassed; chicken burgers were devoured outside in the sunshine. Having young cousins (aged 9 and 5) can often be comical, and they never fail to charm me, whether it be by creating a new game to try out or – in the eldest one’s case – being so intimidatingly clever you question your own intelligence!

The actual goodbye became emotional after a group hug and the realisation I probably won’t be experiencing a game of ‘stuck in the mud’ during university.

WEDNESDAY

Goodbye to: friend called Harvey

Activity: picnic by a lake

Emotion rating: 2/5 stars

Both of us had agreed to try and coordinate a cheap get together, meaning a picnic by a local lake. Once again, a balmy day meant it was extremely pleasant being outside and we spent ages just gossiping together like good friends do.

We both lay staring at the clouds, imagining what our new university experience would bring, the friends we might make and what living with other flatmates would be like.

Saying goodbye was never dramatic, just a simple ‘see ya’ as if we’d meet up next week. And we have done!… on FaceTime.

THURSDAY

Goodbye to: school friends

Activity: drinks out in Oxford

Emotion rating: 4.5/5

The prospect of seeing my friends that evening had me excited all day; it felt like it had been too long since we went out drinking altogether. Our evening together consisted of a couple of rounds of crazy golf and drinking in pubs, culminating in a two hour wait for a taxi home, which ended up proving you never stop bonding with your close mates.

Saying goodbye became surprisingly emotional, as they couldn’t stop hugging me, bringing tears to my eyes the only time that week.

FRIDAY

Goodbye to: Gran (Dad’s side)

Activity: walk with the dogs

Emotion rating: 3.5/5

Walking had become a weekly event for us, and my last week before university was no exception. After having a good natter and a laugh when our dogs wouldn’t obey us after ransacking a family picnic, it was time to say goodbye making me somewhat sad about having to wait a while before doing our dog walks again.

The goodbye was emotionally heightened after I found out my gran had gifted me some valuable earrings my grandad had bought her years before, despite the fact she offered for me to pawn them if I ever got stuck for money! Of course I never would.

SATURDAY

Goodbye to: Mum, Dad, teenage brother, dog

Activity: journey up to Leeds

Emotion rating: Mum + Dad = 4/5 stars. Brother = 1/5 stars. Dog 0.5/5 stars

Saturday was moving out day and the focus was on getting organised and packed ready to make the 3 hour journey to Leeds. My brother said goodbye to me early, giving a typically teenage farewell by knocking on my bedroom door and simply saying: ‘bye, see you in December’.

Saying goodbye to my dog made me upset as I knew I’d miss cuddling him. Unfortunately, the feeling was not mutual; he was too focused on the bone he was about to be given (if I’m honest I don’t blame him).

After eventually having a meal in Leeds and unpacking my room, it was time to say goodbye to my parents. They held it together well, willing me to settle in and be comfortable as soon as possible. Once they drove off, it had finally sunk in I would now be living on my own and doing everything for myself. But I felt excitement at the prospect of having my whole university experience ahead of me.

Words By: Ellie Back 

Ellie Back

Leeds '23

Currently in first year of uni studying English Literature at the University of Leeds, hoping to write interesting and honest articles. Hobbies include football, skiing, cooking, partying and playing with the dog!