Female Artists that You Should Listen to this International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

There’s no better time than International Women’s Day to celebrate just some of my favourite immensely talented, and too often underappreciated, international women who make music. I could make this list massively long, but we’ll keep it at eight to mark the date! 

1. Little Simz – London

Mercury prize nominated and a force to be reckoned with, Little Simz is often characterised by sharp lyrics and flows (check out Offence), but she has no problem slowing it down on more heartfelt releases as well. She’s been active for years and is undoubtedly self-assured, putting her own spin on things in the particularly male-dominated sphere of hip-hop.

2. Phoebe Bridgers – California

No one will accompany you in these low lockdown moods quite like Phoebe Bridgers. If you find comfort in knowing you’re not alone, that someone else feels like you do sometimes, her consistently impressive tracks and soothingly ethereal tone are here for you.

3. SOPHIE – Glasgow

The music industry was shaken earlier this year, along with the hearts of many, by the tragic death of SOPHIE. Not only an inspirational and indescribably talented visionary within pop music, the 2017 release of It’s Okay to Cry saw her bravely address her place in the trans community. She is sorely missed and her legacy is astounding evidence of how much she had left to give us.

4. Biig Piig – Cork/Spain

Biig Piig is certainly gaining deserved attention as an up-and-coming artist. Releasing music in both English and Spanish, her airy tone is distinctive throughout. She is building up a stunning discography, so keep her in mind as we enter the summer months and you start chilling outside with your headphones in.

5. ENNY – London

ENNY only released her debut single in April 2020, and since then the remix of her single Peng Black Girls, in collaboration with Jorja Smith, has thankfully led to more people discovering ENNY’s brilliance. The increasing attention is more than justified, she is consistently strong and soulful – melodically, perfect to relax to and lyrically, perfect to take sharp notice of.

6. Pussy Riot – Moscow

Considering their revolutionary approach to music as a tool for political and social protest, it wouldn’t be much of an IWD music article for me without mentioning Pussy Riot. Make sure to research and read their fascinating story of legal battles and hardcore approaches to feminist and LGBTQ+ issues, while you listen to their boldly punk, performance art tracks.

7. Lianne La Havas – London

Anytime I want to zone out and feel like I’m sitting carefree in some tropical paradise (which is quite often), I turn to Lianne La Havas. Active and recording since 2008, La Havas often nods to her Greek/Jamaican heritage in her music, which – alongside with some of the sweetest vocals – results in a unique feel-good sound honed to perfection on the release of her 2020 album.

8. Gemma Dunleavy – Dublin

I’ve tried hard not to let my Irish bias show too blatantly in this list! But, on her recent debut EP, Gemma Dunleavy captures the experience of growing up in her community perfectly. She celebrates the good and bad aspects of her upbringing, with over beats which reveal her Solange influence, while her tone and accent ensure a refreshingly unique sound.

I’ve not even scraped the surface here, so check out the playlist below for these artists and more, to celebrate some of the wonderful women in music while you celebrate those around you and yourself this International Women’s Day.

Words By: Laura Murphy

Edited By: Dasha Pitts-Yushchenko 

Second year English Literature & Film Studies Student