Fashion Blog: From the Front Row – New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

Surprisingly enough, I was not seated on the front row of any show at New York Fashion Week, instead I was stuck in lectures, seminars and the Edward Boyle library, far more exciting wouldn’t you agree? For all of my hours of work in Leeds, there were miles of runway being walked by tall, stunning models in the latest designs and I refused to miss one second of it…so evidently spent a lot of my time on Vogue, ELLE and Women’s Wear Daily to keep up to date with the fashion world and distract myself from dissertation hell.

If you, unlike me, missed out on the fun of fashion week, then do not fear. There are three more fashion weeks; London, which ran from 14th-18th February, Milan and finally Paris for you to check out and I’m going to provide you with a full round-up of the best designs to have hit the runway in NY.

Elie Tahari

In the words of renowned stylist Rachel Zoe, all that can be said about this collection is ‘Oh my god! I die!’ After seeing only the first look, I knew I was in love. Elie Tahari’s latest collection was all about the cool city girl that everyone wants to be. With thick, dark wool and leather coats to keep you warm, paired with pleated midi skirts and heeled boots to add a bit of attitude, this was high-end street style at its best. Beanie hats are set to return next year and tapered trousers will be your best friend so keep an eye out while you’re shopping now! I adore the blue quilted sweater, matching wool coat and skinny jeans combination (pictured) and will be using that as my main inspiration for the foreseeable future. 

Victoria Beckham

Usually known for her figure-hugging dresses, things at VB HQ have changed over the past few seasons as her designs have become more fluid and androgynous to a certain extent with clean, masculine lines and looser silhouettes. I’m not complaining though. I love the long-line coats, flowing maxi skirts and gold chain detailing. Monochrome remains a key trend, as black and white was the chosen colour palette with a dash of red here and there for a pop of colour.

Alexander Wang

The first looks of the Alexander Wang show were very military-esque, with heavy woollen coats in muted grey tones. But these soon gave way to brightly coloured tunics with leather collars, jumpers had a slick of colour across them and there was plenty of sharp tailoring decorated with artsy patterns. I loved the pop of colour when you least expected it and most looks were accessorised with kitschy leather bags shaped especially for a flask, iPhone or purse. Ideal, no?

Marcesha

If you watched the BAFTAs, Academy Awards and Oscars religiously then whether you know it or not you are no stranger to Marchesa. This is the brand that stylists flock to in order to find the PERFECT dress for their clients to wear on the red carpet for big events. It’s no surprise either, every season the brand return stronger than ever, with even more stunning designs to take your breath away. This year, it was all about flowing jewel-coloured silks, embroidered and embellished gowns and even a feather or two was thrown in for good measure. Elaborate and extravagant met understated and elegant. If I were ever to accept an away, not that that will be anytime soon, then the mustard yellow silk gown or black mini with laser cut thigh high boots would be my go-to choices.

DKNY

The DKNY show was eclectic to say the least. Notes for the show read; “Old school, new school, chic with street…sick to slick”.  This is a brand whose recent campaigns have seen the likes of models-of-the-moment Cara Delevingne and Jourdan Dunn take centre stage and who now has Angel Haze strolling down the catwalk. “Chic with street…sick to slick,” it most certainly is. I loved everything on show from the houndstooth patterned tailoring and dresses to the baseball jackets and the heavy fur coats to the industrial grey jersey maxi dress that will be perfect for layering jumpers over come next Autumn. There was something for everyone. What I especially loved was that it was not just models walking the DKNY catwalk; biologists, professional skateboarders and students also got their chance to shine!

That’s my round-up of my favourite shows this NYFW, but be sure to check out more online as there was so much going on over the past week that you don’t want to miss out on. It’s also a great way to find inspiration to mix up your uni wardrobe when like me you stare at your wardrobe every day, crying that you have no clothes AT ALL!

Image Sources:

All from Vogue.com